Mum recently diagnosed

• 4 replies
  • 13 subscribers

Hi all my mum has just been diagnosed it’s a really scary place to be knowing what’s ahead of us she will be starting R Chop chemotherapy soon - any tips would be welcomed? 
how can we as a family support her?

• Hi again  and well done navigating across to this corner of the community. As I said before I don’t have Primary cutaneous diffuse large B-cell lymphoma, leg-type but a T-Cell Type that basically covers most of my body.

This all sounds scary but on the whole these Lymphomas are very treatable.

R-CHOP has been successfully used for years and is a very effective first line treatment.

She will most likely do this as an out patient just being in the day unit once every three weeks, but do expect her first day to be long as they always tend to take things slower on the first day just to see if she has any allergic reactions but her team will be on this.

I had the big brother of R-CHOP - R-EPOCH and this had me and in hospital 6 days/5 nights on my 2 IV pumps 24/7 over my 6 cycles so I had over 750hrs of treatment and honestly I did ok Thumbsup

You may find reading through the following link helpful as it’s a collection of things and thoughts that people found helpful during treatment Top Tips for the day of your Chemotherapy

You may want to check out the Lymphoma Action website. Lymphoma Action is the only UK Lymphoma Specific Charity who have lots of good reliable information, videos etc.

They run regular Support Platforms with a few groups specifically for Family and Carers...... I highly recommend these groups as there is nothing better than talking with other people who are navigating the journey.

Do post any specific questions you have and we will do our best to answer them ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you Mike I will certainly take a look what a great relief it is to find this group!

• Hi my hubby George was diagnosed with DLBCL last April, he had R Chop chemo and 2 rounds of metetraxate?  And then some radiotherapy to treat some little floaters, he is exhausted but ok, on the whole he got through the whole treatment without having many side effects, his hair did fall out but it has come back now.  It is looking good as his last scan showed no lymphoma in any of the major organs, bone marrow or blood stream, just a little floater in his spine hence the radiotherapy, he will see his consult on middle of May so hopefully we get the R word.  This type of cancer is very treatable and you and your Mum who need to be positive and strong.

Yes it is a scary place to be but the staff treating your Mum will be there for her, you can ask them anything, nothing is too much for them, they do a fantastic job our team were always at the end of the phone. My hubby was very thirsty during his treatment so we always had nice drinks and Ice lollies for him, his appetite went up and down, but on the whole he was fine. Take it one day at a time, there will be good days and also some tough ones, but he positive and strong, good luck to your Mum

Hibbie

• Thank you so much Hibbie good luck with your appointment in May