MASS IN THE RETROPERITONEAL

• 9 replies
  • 14 subscribers

Hi, I have been on this site previously and had some very helpful supportive advise.  I am now 8 months clear and had a another CT scan three months ago a I had discomfort in my stomach and my bloods were out, good it came back clear.  However, I now have more discomfort and bloating maybe its just part of the course you have to go down.  I know that the type of cancer is this area is difficult and quite rare so just wondering if anyone has had these symptoms and especially a mass in the Retroperitoneal.

Take care, thank you.

Verity25 

• Hi again  and sorry to hear about your concerns.

In the early days there is always a chance of a Relapse and can present basically anywhere in the body.

I have a different type of NHL and relapsed a number of time and it different areas……. But I have to say I had stomach problems for a long time after all my treatments had finished but eventually cleared up…… although I do have a Hiatus Hernia but fortunately it’s behaving itself.

I do hope you can get answers and this is not a relapse ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• I've had discomfort and bloating ever since I finished chemotherapy but my scans have always been fine.

How frequently are you having surveillance scans at the moment and what is the pathway to bringing forward your next follow up if you're concerned?

• Hi Verity25

I had my main tumour in the retroperitoneum too, and I have abdominal discomfort much more frequently now than before chemo. My symptoms tend to get worse the closer I get from my check-ups so I suppose there is a psychological component 

I have noticed that I can easily make things worse by feeling my abdomen everyday looking for a mass, which cause discomfort, which in turn increases my anxiety etc etc.

• Hi Lolie,

Thanks for your reply, it seems that discomfort and maybe bloating seems to be part of the course.  They haven't said if and when I will get surveillance scans my consultants contacts me every four months and I have blood test via my doctor but then the consultant speaks to me over the phone, which doesn't fill me with confidence. 

Best

Verity

• Hi Stbmed,

Thanks for your reply,  retroperitoneal masses seem to be rare.  I am trying very hard not to think about the issue, most of the time I succeed, until I get alot of discomfort and bloating which at the moment I have.  I know it's hard trying to be positive all the time and it's a battle between the ears (these are Mike Highlander's words which I remember), but I suppose you have to try and deal with it in whatever way works for you.

I suppose in time we have to trust our body and trust yourself to know when and if you need to seek extra help from the consultants, otherwise our precious life is being overridden by the original cancer diagnosis.  The C word is always hard to hear and probably no one is quite the same after.

It is all early days for me I got the all clear eight months ago, I don't know when you completed your treatment? but it would be nice to stay in touch.

Best

Verity

• Almost all of my follow up appointments during 2021 and 2022 were over the phone due to covid. I had blood tests every 6 months and a scan every year.

The only thing different about face to face appointments is a physical exam, which your GP can do anyway.

I remember my haematologist telling me after I finished treatment that it takes a couple of years for your body to recover from the effects of treatment.  It's really only then that you know which side effects you're stuck with.

• Hi Stbmed, 

I haven't been on here for a while, just thought I would write to see how you are as you had retroperitoneal mass also, It has been one year this month but I still get bloating and discomfort and sometimes pain in my back, sometimes it hard to keep positive and to know if and when to contact the doctor.  Retroperitoneal masses are not very common so less people to relate to.

Hope you are well.

Verity

• Hi Verity

I'm doing good. I had my last follow-up appointment in April, and it was all clear. The next one is due in October and I hope that it will be clear too.

I still have some abdominal discomfort from time to time but try not to dwell on it too much 

I hope you're fine.