Impressive Results of DLBCL Clinical Trial

• 3 replies
  • 12 subscribers

“Smart Start” Targeted Therapy Before Chemotherapy Elicits 86% ORR in Newly Diagnosed DLBCL | ASH Clinical News | American Society of Hematology (ashpublications.org)

“The response rates from the chemotherapy-​free lead-in are impressive but difficult to compare to standard of care [since] we only gave two cycles prior to combining with chemotherapy, as when we designed the trial it was unclear if our responses would be durable,” Dr. Westin said. “The response rates from the entire treatment were excellent, with an ORR of 100% and CR rate of 94.5% in the adverse non-GCB subtype.”

I participated in this trial (at MD Anderson in Houston).  Just went back last week for a scan - still in remission after 4 years.  They are doing another trial now called "Smart Stop" to see if they can reduce the Chemo without hurting the results.  The immunotherapy part was no problem.  The chemo part (R-CHOP) wasn't a lot of fun.

• Hi   and a warm welcome to this corner of the Community although I am always sorry to see folks joining us. I am Mike and I help out around our various Lymphoma groups.

I was diagnosed way back in 1999 at 43 with a rare, incurable but treatable type of Low Grade NHL eventually reaching Stage 4a in late 2013 so although my Lymphoma ‘type’ is different I do appreciate the challenges of this journey rather well.

Although we are separated by the ‘big pond’ there are similarities with regards to treatments but in the UK our main delivery system is our National Health Service.

Over my 23 years I have seen remarkable developments in treatments and even back in early 2014 when I was told that Allo (donor) Stem Cell Transplant was my final option….. over the past 7 years a few new treatments have come online Thumbsup

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Mike,

Thanks for the welcome.  I joined in 2018 when I was diagnosed, but haven't been around in a couple of years.  It was very helpful at the time to see other people's stories of their cancer experience (such as yours), and be able to ask questions of others who have been thru similar experiences.

This treatment for this particular type of lymphona was so successful I wanted to spread the word.  With the standard treatments (such as R-CHOP), after 2 years the cancer I had typically recurs (or doesn't respond to treatment) in about 50% of the people with it.  Worse after 5 years.  In this trial after 2 years, 94% were still in complete remission.  I feel like I won the lottery now when I got into that trial.

Not sure how all this works, but in the US it's not available generally as a treatment (I asked my doc) - unless you get in a clinical trial for it.  Has to be approved by the FDA, or somesuch.  With the results they had, I think they should bypass some of the bureaucracy.  Not sure how all that works in the UK either.

-Bob

• Hi Bob, I can’t find your older posts but the site has had a few upgrades over the years.

The UK has also the same type of system with our approving body doing all the work but there are various trials running through various cancer centres of excellence.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge