Time to ring the bell

• 4 replies
  • 14 subscribers

I've just had my final PET scan and CT scan, then a meeting with the oncology team to discuss the results. I'm pleased to tell everyone on this group that the course of treatment was successful, there is no sign of any cancer activity and I'm in full remission. (pause for a quick burst of the 'Hallaljuh Chorus'). It's the best result I could have expected.

I had 6 rounds of R-Chop, blood tests, scans, ECGs right up the wazoo and to be honest a pretty stressful and difficult 6 months. Right at the beginning they told me that DLBCL was definitely treatable, with a good success rate, and here I am at the end of it.

Good luck to others on this group going through this, or supporting loved ones.....stick with it, it's good treatment, and it works.

Now I have to concentrate on building myself back up, get rid of some of this 'steroid' weight, and look forward to the rest of my life.

Lots of love

Steve

• Hi again Steve  and this is great news you are bringing to us.

The aim of DLBCL treatment is to cure but remission is a good start...... so ring it long and loud. We have no bells at our hospital so I just went home and had a large Single Malt after every time I hear the word remission....... this did mean I have used up a few bottle over the years Joy

You have completed the first 2/3rds of the journey....... the final 1/3rd is navigating the post treatment life. You may find it helpful to make a cuppa and have a look at this great paper After Treatment Finishes - Then What? by Dr Peter Harvey as it highlights the post treatment milestones.

Well done and have a great Christmas.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Steve this is wonderful news for you, my husband George is waiting to hear if his treatment has worked, he was diagnosed in April and has had 6 treatments, he has taken it in his stride, only felt a bit rough after last 2 treatments, he is looking good now,  but still gets tired easily.  So we are hoping to hear the results any day now, so fingers crossed we get good news.

Take care and enjoy Christmas

Hibbie

• Hi Hibbie, I wondered if you would pop up, I know that George and I have followed parallel paths and times with the struggle against DLBCL. The last couple of weeks waiting for the PET scan and then the results have been particularly hard, but when I finally got the 'reveal' appointment it was a huge relief.

I'm still waiting for guidance on whether I need radiotherapy, but quite willing to get it done, if needed. I'm still very weak, get tired easily, about 40 pounds heavier due to the steroids, and I lost all my hair. But it's been a success, and I'm grateful.

I hope you get your results for George soon, and I'll watch out for your post to the group

All the best... 

Steve

• Like most things about treatment the recovery is not quick

I found I had got used to the routine of treatments and tests etc and found it a bit odd when they stopped even though I was desperate to get to the end of them. 

I think it took me about a year to be more or less back to how I was before diagnoses. Its best not to push to hard at the beginning.

Hair started again fairly quickly but I had got used to not having any so have kept it very short since. Walking up stepper hills took a while. I have switched to an e-bike. I have used having the cancer as an excuse for the new bike but I was wanting one anyway.Grinning.

Your body has had a battering give it time to recover.