WBC, neutropenia - safe levels for chemo?

• 3 replies
  • 12 subscribers

Hi. We were scheduled to go on Mon for hubbies

2nd chemo treatment. But I just saw his blood results. 

WBC is 2.5

neutrophils are .79

thats too low for chemo right?  He’s usually a 6 WBC 

I can’t find the minimums needed to not delay 

any insight is appreciated Ty 

• Hi  and a warm welcome to this corner of the Community although I am always sorry to see folks joining us. I am Mike and I help out around our various Lymphoma groups.

I don’t have DLBCL but I was diagnosed back in 1999 with a rare, incurable type of NHL Stage 4a so although my Lymphoma ‘type’ is different I appreciate the challenges of this journey well.

It can be very confusing understanding how all this works and when it comes to blood results each unit will have their own protocol as it’s not just to do with the WBC, Neutrophils levels….. it’s also to do with how well your husband is physically, what treatment he is having and how important it is to get the treatment done.

There is always going to be a big hit to his bone marrow during his first treatment so some folks find the blood levels recovery takes a little longer.

Normal range for WBC is 4 - 11 with Neutrophils 2 - 7.5….. I am coming up to 7 years post my last treatment (hit my community name for my story) and my WBC and Neutrophils are often near the low end of acceptable…. and I am living as normal a life that any 66 year old can.

My main trigger that held back treatment was my HB level and the tigger point for me was 79 (130 - 180 normal levels) and this required transfusions as they did not want me to bleed out if I had an accident Smirk

I am sure that you have been given a phone number (chemo helpline) to call so why not call them and ask…… especially if you have a distance to travel for the treatment to be then sent home.

During my main chemo I had to be at the clinic at 9am bloods and obbs were done and had to wait for the blood results to arrive with my Haematologist…… this normally only took 45mins (sometimes longer) and I went into see them, they would sign me off as fit for treatment, I was given my treatment approval, this was dropped at pharmacy and I went to the ward. You will see that my treatment was over 6 days/5 nights so it was a long stay on my two IV pumps for over 120hrs

I often had to go back to the unit a few days after my treatments to get some transfusions as I was dropping into the Neutropenic range.

Always around to chat.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hey!  Thanks for the reply. 

since I posted I realized ANC levels will determine next chemo round. I think typically over 1000 is when they will continue and if I’m correct he’s at 787 right now. 

I did call but got a clueless on call sounded like a new doc doc because the call service told her to return our call for a cold See no evil

anyway. Doc should see his results first thing tomorrow and give us some idea what they are thinking 

it’s just hard right now. Our die isl needs 18 year old has a cough and fever and I’m trying to keep him away from his daddy who CAN NOT get sick right now. 

deep breathing. Heart️

• It’s hard navigating the journey, yes below 1000 is classed as the Neutropenic range but it will be up to his consultant - I went ahead below 1000 but we were on the click to get me into position for my first Stem Cell Transplant.

Yes lots of deep breathing.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge