New to Diffuse B Cell Lymphoma

• 4 replies
  • 13 subscribers

Hi everyone... . my husband is 52 and was diagnosed with Diffuse B Cell Lymphoma in march.. We thought he had IBS turns out after bloods and lots of scans that he has a mass in his spleen,  groin , neck and stomach. He is having chemo. The last few months have been tough and feeling alot lost at the moment, struggling to get a grip on it.. some of the medical terms are sticking in but others are just very confusing..  We are a strong team together but are finding we need help and struggling to ask for it !! Is this wrong 

• Hi again  and well done navigating across to the group. As J said in my other post I have lived and been treated for over 23 years for my type of incurable NHL. 

You will find this hard to believe at the moment but the aim of the treatments used for DLBCL is to cure……. but the journey there can be tough. I can understand the journey well as once my main treatment started I was rather ill for a good period of time but I am now over 6 years 9 months out from my last treatment and I am doing well and living as good a life that any 66 year old would be living…… hit my community name to see my story.

Is he having a treatment called R-CHOP or something different?

I am sure you have many questions so do ask them and the group will do it’s best to answer them ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you and yes he's had 4 treatments of r chop but next two have been delayed due to a blood clot on right lung... I have a mountain of questions unsure of where to start ... just trying to make sense of this new journey we are on... the main question is what's next ? and whats around the corner ? ... what can I do to help him ? 

• Delays in treatment are unfortunately normal I had a different full on 120hrs of chemo for each of my 6 hits and two were delayed…… made no difference to the outcome.

What’s next will depend on how effective his treatment is. Some gold just have R-CHOP but others like myself go on to have other treatments - time will tell.

No one knows what’s around the corner but one thing for sure unlike other cancers like lung, kidney, breast…… the list can go on NHL is very treatable. I as stage 4 back in late 2013 and over 8 years on I am doing great……. and remember my type of NHL was hard to treat and incurable.

I asked my wife Fiona about what you can do to help…… “you take each day as it comes, some fats will be challenging but others will bring positives. Don’t over thing this, these clinical teams are dealing with this day in day out and if they are happy with progress then so should you…… believe me when I say that they will tell you where there are problems”

Although it all look and feels so challenging the aim is to get a good positive result at the end of this ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi as a fellow dlbc patient who had 8 cycles of rchop back in 2009 for stage 4b I can happily advise that what's around the corner is life and as Mike has said you take things a day at a time. Post treatment brings a different set of thoughts as he and you adjust to life in remission and 3 monthly check ups. One major hurdle for many is accepting life has changed, when you embrace that then your mindset often becomes more positive. There is a good paper about life after treatment and its worth a read before you both get to that point as it helps prepare.

http://www.livingwell-cancer-support.org.uk/docs/Peter%20Harvey%20-%20After%20the%20Treatment%20Finishes%20then%20What.pdf

I don't post as often now but will pass by to see if I can answer any questions you may post,

John  

we all know this is a roller coaster ride, where we ride blind, never knowing where the highs and lows are