What other treatments ?

• 4 replies
  • 12 subscribers

Hi all, 

I have been reading your posts avidly and you have given so much awareness and support to others. 
if I could ask advice , my husband aged 59 fell ill suddenly 13 weeks ago. After initially being informed by 4 GPS that it was a virus, we had a ct scan that showed enlarged lymph nodes in the groin. Biopsy results have  diagnosed non Hodgkin Diffuse large B cell lymphoma. The stage is 2E and they have said is very aggressive. Fast foward, sadly heart muga scan has shown 42 per cent, which came as a shock so are unable to use oncovin(vincrustine). 

they did more bloods yesterday to see what is driving the cancer,and treatment commences on the 28th. 

my husband is very weak and lost so much weight, my query is what or can they use anything else instead of the O, continuing with everything else in R chp.  But if the cancer drug is eliminated from treatment, I guess it will never be in remission? Thoughts. Thanks

• Hi  and even although you have been looking in welcome.

Sorry to hear about the treatment challenges your husband is experiencing, heart problems and Lymphoma treatments are not good bed fellows.

Oncovin (Vincristine) is very often used in many treatments. My type of NHL is rather different and even my R-EPOCH was only a steppingstone to go on to Stem Cell Transplant (SCT) but SCT and indeed CAR-T are a challenge when there are other underlying health conditions.

Is your husband being treated at one of the top cancer hospitals as they often can open doors where none cancer specific hospitals can’t.

Lets look for any of the other members who have experience to come along and help you out ((hugs)) 

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you Mike. Really appreciate you responding.  Let’s hope we can find out more along the way from others who may have come across same issues. 

• To help widen your search you may want to also check out Lymphoma Action, a small UK Lymphoma Specific Charity who have lots of information, videos and run regular regional online Lymphoma support groups and indeed a great Lymphoma Buddy Service.

They have a Lymphoma specific helpline on 0808 808 5555 open every week day from 10 til 3.

The link below will take you to their treatment trials information.

lymphoma-action.org.uk/welcome-lymphoma-trialslink

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• That’s so kind and helpful, thank you Mike