R-CHOP - Feeling frightened

• 4 replies
  • 15 subscribers

My meeting went well on Monday with consultant and it appears that the cancer is contained in right breast and right lymph node. Came out feeling good and positive and even had a really good time in the wig shop playing with wigs snd turbans.  I am definitely getting the R-Chop and that is the problem.   Today I am suddenly terrified. 

I read the handout about the side effects and feel sick with fear. My head is full of what ifs? Not good what ifs though. I know having information is important but it’s made me feel worse.

I need reassurance that I can cope with this treatment as I really want to work and lead a semblance of a normal life. I don’t know what I expect from members here but any information on reaction to first cycle would be very beneficial. 

Thank  you everyone 

M

• Hi, rchop is a straight forward treatment, most given via cannula and then the rituximab given by drip, the drip is started slowly so they see how you respond to it, 50% have a reaction and 50% don't, until they start you won't know. I had a reaction after they increased the flow rate and told the nurse, I felt itchy and came out in hives. They stopped the treatment set up a drip and after the fluids restarted at a slow rate and whilst the first treatment took 13 hours the rest were a little quicker as I got used to it. As for other effects see how it goes all are manageable. I will always remember apart from that reactions I sailed through the treatment and said to friends if they are all like this it will be easy. I was fine for the 3 weeks between treatments, the second one was ok was sick after it and they adjusted the meds and I was never sick again. As treatment progressed fatigue started to kick in, constipation was something that had to be managed, I exercised most days by going for a walk. 

as for how to cope and get through this, a friends said to me - someone has to be a good stat so why not you, that was 11 years ago, so my mantra was I was going to be a good stat and guess what, I was. So try not to worry about the what ifs or buts, control that which is within your control and follow the advice of your team. 

I am confident you will be fine once you get your head around this again, we all had blips, see this as a blip, and keep that mantra going.

John 

we all know this is a roller coaster ride, where we ride blind, never knowing where the highs and lows are
  • Oh John

Thank you.  This is SO reassuring.  Yes, as Mike, said, once again, it's the noise between my ears that is impacting on me.  

The Cancer Caped Crusaders strike again. lol

Forever indebted to you.

Mina

• Good afternoon Mina and good to see John has come along and given you his first hand experience on R-CHOP...... nothing better than real life information.

My R-EPOCH did have a few of the same drugs and I did well on them but my treatment required me to be on hospital for 5 days/nights for the 6 cycles but it was a good excuse to read all The Game of Thrones books.

I always recommend that when you embark on the treatment journey you read the information provided by your team and also on recognised Blood Cancer Support Charities...... but stay away from random Google search’s.

The treatment information can be challenging as the side effects can all sound daunting...... but people don’t have every side effects and when these do come along everyone experiences various levels and not all bad.

These are some useful links for you to have a look at:

Nausea, remember not to suffer in silence when it comes to nausea there are lots of tools available - but your team need to know how you are getting on, they are not mind readers.

Fatigue may well build up over time so take each day as it comes but at the same time keep some activity going as this does actually help overcome some of the fatigue.

During my 6 cycles of R-EPOCH my nurse team told me to keep active so I walked the ward corridors with my chemo stand after every meal and actually did a few miles a day.

Avoiding Infections obviously is very important but you will totally get this during these challenging times.

I would also highlight the importance of drinking lots of water as this will flush out all the toxins released by the chemo and protects your kidneys.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi

Once you have been through the first couple of cycles it becomes just a tedious chore. You are already past the worst bit you have your diagnoses and treatment plan.

You are likely to start noticing changes with your symptoms fairly quickly and that helps reduce the noise in you head

It's not true to say it is easy but it's not like climbing Mount Everest either, Ben Nevis perhaps. Personally I found day seven and eight I couldn't be bothered to do much the rest were fine, If you have days you want to sit and watch TV and eat ice cream do it.

A small plus the things you will have been told not to do no one else can either as we are all locked down again. Not fun but it takes away some temptations