Suspected Lymohoid Leukaemia - next steps

• 2 replies
  • 22 subscribers

H

my mum was referred urgently to A&E after routine blood tests showed alarmingly high WBc and Lymphocytes. She was told they suspected it to be Lymphoid Leukaemia. I’m only just getting over Breast Cancer myself and now am learning about CLL….(am I even in the right group?)

im very worried about her. She has been referred to see a neurologist first and then haematologist and I was confused as to why she would need to see a neurologist?! Is this normal?

she doesn’t appear to have any other symptoms really. She is sole carer for my dad so does get tired but is a generally healthy 76 year old who plays golf etc

if anyone has any advice on next steps - it’s be much appreciated 

thanks

• Hi   and welcome to this corner of the Community although I am sorry to hear about your journey and now your mum.

I am Mike and I help out around our various Blood Cancer groups.

I was diagnosed way back in 1999 at 43 with a 8 in a million rare, incurable, but treatable type of Low Grade Non Hodgkin’s Lymphoma (NHL)…… then in late 2013 a more aggressive type of NHL joined the party so I was now Stage 4a so although my Blood Cancer ‘type’ is different I do appreciate the challenges of this journey rather well……. and 25 years on I am still living a great life.

Oh this is very early days in her diagnosis.

Blood cancers are complicated and there are many different types even under the Leukaemia group banner there are a number with a few actually seen in the same light as Non Hodgkins Lymohoma….. yes very confusing. In Lymphoma there are over 60 types …… 

Blood cancers can basically turn up anywhere in the body…… where the blood and the Lymphatic System flows so can the cancer cells…… so her seeing a Neurologist before a Haematologist suggests that there may be suspicions that there may be cells in this area……but regardless where these cells go, on the whole this can be treated.

But getting a very clear diagnosis is very important as there tend to be no one size treatment fits all.

Has she had any scans?….. CT, PET, MRI?

It’s important that she has someone with her at all appointments as the information can get very technical.

Although these 2 links are taken from a Lumphoma Support Charity it will give you a flavour of what to expect at Heamatology Appointments and general questions to be asking.

Top tips for getting the best from your appointments

Questions to ask your medical team about Lymphoma

Lets look for any group members to pick up on your post and get back to you.

Always around to help out as best as I can ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you so much for your kind reply. I really appreciate it. I’ll take a look of the links now and try and prepare myself for next weeks appt