Cll weight loss

• 3 replies
  • 20 subscribers

Had Cll for thirty years, in the last 8 years I have lost three stone in weight,  Any ideas how to gain weight.

I eat very well, I'm 77yrs old.

Docs say my CLL is stable.

Any ideas how to gain weight?

I am also aways very tired.

Thanks Smudger

• Hi  and a warm welcome to this corner of the Community although I am always sorry to see folks joining us and sorry to hear about your wife’s CLL diagnosis.

I am Mike and I help out around our various Blood Cancer groups. I don’t have Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL) but I was diagnosed way back in 1999 at 43 with a rare, incurable but treatable type of Low Grade Non Hodgkin’s Lymphoma eventually reaching Stage 4a in late 2013 so although my Blood Cancer ‘type’ is different I do appreciate the challenges of this journey rather well.

Has your Haematologist not referred you to a dietitian?……. I lost just over 4 stone over a few months so I was sent to see a dietitian who suggested some changes in my diet.

I was put on a high protein diet that includes more eggs, Almonds, Chicken breast, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, full fat milk, lentils, fish, shellfish…….

1. Talking can help so do check for aany Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing and provide support from all the family.

Do also check out the Lymphoma Action. Lymphoma Action is the only UK Lymphoma Specific Charity who have lots of good reliable information, videos etc.

CLL although it has the word Leukaemia in it, in Hematology terms actually comes under the umbrella of Low-grade non-Hodgkin lymphoma - yes very confusing I hear you say. This us why CLL, SLL and HCL have a group on their own.

Lymphoma Action run regular Support Platforms both for patients but also for family and carers...... I highly recommend these groups as there is nothing better than talking with other who have walked the journey.

They also have a great Lymphoma Action Buddy Service where your wife but also you can be linked up with someone who has walked the same treatment journey.

They also have a Lymphoma helpline on 0808 808 5555 where the team will be on hand to give you some support - open every week day from 10 till 3.

I am always around to help more, just to chat and to answer questions.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks very much, a lot of useful  info.

It's me not my partner with the CLL.

Interesting advise on weight gain i will look into it.

Will keep in touch.

Many thanks, keep well

Smudger

• Hi  sorry about that mistake..... it had been a long day when I put up my reply...... I had been replying to very similar post at the same time so the lines got blurred.

Yes do follow up and the links and look into the suggestions.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge