I was diagnosed with CLL 2 years ago

• 16 replies
  • 23 subscribers

I was diagnosed with CLL, 2 years ago, managed to get on a trial using a targeted therapy monoclonal antibodies. The treatment cleared all my lymph nodes swelling. My lymphocytes levels have been normal for 2 years. Wanted to reach out to anyone who has had monoclonal antibodies treatment for CLL.

• Thanks for the info its good to chat with someone thats been through it, i get given Metoclopramide for the sickness, and also have to take Aciclovir and Co-Trimoxazole for anti infection etc. i am just finding the feeling sick and the fatigue the only issues at the moment, i dont seem to have much energy, i am a very active person and want to start exercising again but then just dont have the energy just yet, but i guess eight or nine weeks in is still early days. I do drink loads of water and i do sleep when my body tells me to, but i also have this strange feeling of wearyness in my arms, cant get used to that just yet. my questions for you would be is there a time when you get used to it all ,and is there a time when apart from all the tablets life is pretty normal.

• Don’t worry your lumps will go down, your fatigue will go down your on the mend. It’s the not knowing what’s ahead that got me the most. Your in the best care your consultants and all those wonderful nurses do a fantastic job, any issues no matter how small always ask your consultant or nurses.

• Over time I found the tablets  Aciclovir and Co-Trimoxazole made my stomach roar & I had diarrhoea a lot. I used a probiotic yogurt but NOT live yogurt ask your nurse or doctor 1st. I used the 1 shot small probiotic yogurt to put the bacteria back into my stomach. Unfortunately one of the side effects is tiredness, I find I just get tired sometimes early evening, I have to lie down. It’s a very trying time for you & your body that’s why I used the guided meditation to put my mind & body into a kind of suspension, sleep like state where you can float & be totally at piece with yourself, you will feel better for it.

• You have to remember you have cancer, even if all the lumps go down & your lymphocytes levels are normal you still need to be monitored for life every few months by your consultant. The drugs are very strong but not lethal like radiation, every individual is different, I find I can’t take information overload or noisy places or engaging in a group discussion I find it saps my energy. Feeling normal I don’t know what that means because how I feel now is different to how I felt in the beginning. I appreciate life more & take each day as it comes, appreciate friends & family who where there for me. I just appreciate the therapy I had been given, because without I wouldn’t be here now. But yes life after the treatment is great. After the drugs wear off 3-4 months approx, your strength & stamina comes back slowly. The treatment of monoclonal antibodies is a technological breakthrough in the treatment of cancer.

• Thanks for all the info i really appreciate hearing from you. feel free to contact me or share any wisdom with me. Always keen to learn. thanks again ...Rob

• Don’t worry your body is on the repair, your body will take time to heal, sleep & lots of water, you have the best consultants & nurses looking after you, if you need further help I am always here anytime.