Understanding chemotherapy treatment

• 8 replies
  • 7 subscribers

Trying to understand how chemotherapy treatment in CLL

mum has just had her first cycle of treatment ( chlorambucil )

she says her white cells have gone from 250,000 back to 23,000

as I was not at the appointment with her , I’m trying to understand will the white cell count remain at the lower level until she completes the course of chemotherapy 

I’m not sure I understand how the chemotherapy is acting in the CLL and not sure who to ask for an explanation 

she seems to think this is the miracle cure and she will be cured

shes in her 90s 

• Hi  and a warm welcome to this corner of the Community although I am always sorry to see folks joining us and sorry to hear about your mum’s CLL diagnosis.

I am Mike and I help out around our various Blood Cancer groups. I don’t have Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL) but I was diagnosed way back in 1999 at 43 with a rare, incurable but treatable type of Low Grade Non Hodgkin’s Lymphoma eventually reaching Stage 4a in late 2013 so although my Blood Cancer ‘type’ is different I do appreciate the challenges of this journey rather well.

I was looking at your post to our Cancer Nurse Team and you mentioned that your mum’s chemo was being seen as Palliative treatment… 

I am not a medical professional but after 24 years you come to know some of the process.

In general all Chemotherapy treatments reduces the rate at which blood cells are produced in your bone marrow this will happen to the red blood cells, white blood cells and platelets.

Generally it takes about 48 to 72 hours for the body to break down and/or get rid of most chemo drugs but the effects of the chemo on growth areas and her general immune system could last for weeks.

It is important to remember that she may well be more open to infections at about days 7-14 as this tends to be the window when her immune system is at its lowest……. then the body recovers in time for the next cycle….. but the more chemo she has the longer the recovery can take so by the end of treatment it could take a few months this to recover completely.

You may also find that she may require regular blood transfusions if her blood counts are not recovering sufficiently.

I don’t know what her White Cells will do once the toxicity of the chemo goes….  will her counts rise again?….  These questions need to be put to her clinical team ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you so much for taking the time to reply

and for making it all a bit clearer 

yes I’m not sure about the rate her white cells will rise again after the chemotherapy 

they say she can have 3 cycles then see FlushedFlushed

I don’t think she wants to ask too many questions to the team and I have to respect that, but it’s difficult when as a family we have questions 

Thank you again 

• You may find it helpful to join and post in our general cancer wide 

Carers only 

and

Supporting someone with incurable cancer

……. support groups where you will connect with others navigating the exact same practical and emotional challenges of supporting your mum and indeed yourself.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Hello!  I have CLL and SLL that arose from it.  I was on different chemo - obinutuzumab by intravenous route and venetoclax by oral route.  I live in the USA so perhaps treatments are different here.  At any rate - your mother's white blood cells having come way down is great!  That is a huge amount of white blood cells to have come down so quickly.  A bit late to say this now but I do hope she was safe from tumor lysis syndrome which can happen in the instance of such rapidly-depleted white blood cells.

I had six rounds of the intravenous medicine and was on the one the oral for a year.   A long journey but I am in remission now.  Please know that CLL is not curable, but can definitely go into remission and stay there for quite some time - years usually.  She will be followed by her oncologist for the rest of her life to watch for signs of it relapsing.  When/if she achieves remission she will feel so much better than prior to treatment!  In fact she will likely feel much improved within a couple of months.

I am very glad she is responding to the treatment!

• Thank you

i hope you’re well 

mum has had 2 lots of chemotherapy and has made the decision not to have anymore . She’s 92 and had a terrible time with side effects of chemotherapy 

she has contacted the drs , oncology team and left messages for them but nobody has responded 

she has an appointment next week so will see what they say and offer 

• Hi again  ..... quality of life has to be considered...... and I think your mum has looked at this closely.

You are entering a different journey that most likely will include Palliative Care so do make use of our general Carers only and someone with incurable cancer support groups where you will connect with a wide range of caregivers navigating the exact same support challenges.

((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you so much 

it’s so nice to know there is such a supportive group 

• This is It an emotional time supporting your mum so you might find this Macmillan information your feelings when someone has cancer helpful as well as this link getting help with your emotions.

You may find it helpful to call the Macmillan Support Line open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear.

We also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow 3 working days for a reply.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing and support all the family.

((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge