HCL - after effects

• 3 replies
  • 7 subscribers

My husband has just finished his course of cladribine for HCL. We know and were informed of side effects, and he's got several which have built up over the past week, though not of major concern.

For the past two days he's been aching all over, and we understand that this means the treatment is working. However I wondered if anyone has any advice on what has helped. Paracetamol seems to give minimal relief. I've tried Googling and not found anything. Thanks in advance. 

• Hi again  and well done getting set up in the group.

I don't have hairy cell leukaemia but a rare type of NHL so I do understand the challenges of going through treatments.

All over body acheing is rather normal with some treatments. Yes it can be the sign of the treatment working..... but it can also be the sign of general all over body Fatigue that is a Side Effect of the treatments.

It can take time for this to work out of the body..... If he is inactive then the fatigue and aches will take longer to improve........ If he is active, then this can be his body fighting back as the unused muscle mass will be complaining.

As for pain relief you do need to talk with his clinical team as there are various levels of pain meds....... but these are only available on prescription..... at times I was using some very strong opioid drugs..... not the best thing to be having but it was needs must.

((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Mike

Thanks again for your advice. I will have a chat with my hubby as he certainly seems more tired than usual which we fully expected. He has an hospital appointment in a few days so I'll suggest he speaks with the consultant about extra pain relief. Cheers 

• You may want to check a local Maggie's Centre as these folks provide amazing support and the Heamatology Support Group I attend at our Maggie’s have a few folks with HCL.

For good information do check out Leukaemia Care UK who produce very good information and run various support platforms including their Buddy Scheme, they also have a Support Line on 08088 010 444

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge