In UK - Who will get Monoclonal Antibodies for COVID-19 Preexposure Prophylaxis?

• 7 replies
  • 6 subscribers

USA article - jamanetwork.com/.../2787758

December 29, 2021 Questions Remain About Who Will Get Monoclonal Antibodies for COVID-19 Preexposure Prophylaxis Rita Rubin, MA
AZD7422 is the first to receive Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) for preexposure prophylaxis, or PrEP.
“My reaction was a combination of incredible excitement, relief, and what are my next steps to make sure I can get it for myself and my community?” said the 70-year-old Koffman, a retired family physician in Chula Vista, California, who was diagnosed with chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL) in 2005 and cofounded the nonprofit CLL Society in 2013.
Is there an answer to this question for UK NHS CLL patients and other similar vulnerable?
  • Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks Thhighlander I have obtained the "prep" PCR test but I have not yet seen any NHS provsion of prep treatment such as AZD7422 Monoclonal Antibodies

• I have talked with a few folks through Lymphoma Action who have actually received the treatments over the past few weeks. From what I have seen, the completion and processing of the PCR test trigers the next steps for the treatment to kick in. But even although people got the test kit once they put the test into the system they revived a call and were assessed and some did not actually get the treatment as they were not seen as high enough up the at risk list.

Up in Scotland it looks like things are being done differently, lets hope we don't need the treatment.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks. Do you know what is different in Scotland? If not I can try posting a comment on this group or ask a medical connection I have in Edinburgh who will certainly know.

• My understanding is that if I call 119 and ask for priority PCR this will trigger a check using my unique Scottish CHI Patient number that will in turn highlight if we fall in the clinical group that needs the meds.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• This looks exactly like NHS England. You have to get the virus to get it. No preexposure prophylaxis - unlike FDA in USA.

• Yes it looks the same.

I have talked with many blood cancer patents both on this Community and another platform I help out with. The difference between the effect of developing covid during the pre-vaccine period and the now 3 and even 4 vaccines is dramatic with little people now reporting significant effects....... this may play a part in how this develops in the future - time will tell.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge