Diagnosis

• 1 reply
  • 7 subscribers

I was recently diagnosed with CLL on the 1st of June Flushed needless to say that I was scared, anxious, worried and am I going to die!!! Fortunately my mum was with me during the phone call, yes, phone call... due to Covid and the fact I was in London. It must have been very tough for the Haematology Doctor to make that phone call whereas normally I would probably have been invited for a face to face discussion of my diagnosis. Nevertheless, now that has happened I feel relaxed and am just going about life normally alongside giving up alcohol and enjoying my journey one day at a time... watching and waiting to see what happens next. 

My question is how long till I know if I am going to be put onto a treatment program and what will it be ... how does it feel ... what effect it will have on me ... etc. etc...

• Hi  and welcome to this corner of the community although sorry to hear about your CLL (chronic lymphocytic leukaemia) diagnosis.

I am Mike  and help out around our blood cancer groups. I don’t have CLL but was debacles in 1999 with a rather rare Low Grade Non Hodgkin’s Lymohoma and it took over 14 years before we had to use serious treatments Wink

Like my CTCL - CLL usually grows very slowly and there are lots of effective treatment options. They generally aim to keep the lymphoma under control rather than curing it and it can take some time before treatments are required so Active Monitoring (Watch and Wait) is indeed often the first step.

Lets look for some of the group members to be looking in but I am always happy to chat more.

It would’ve good for you to understand CLL more. The link below is taken from Lymphoma Action, a small UK Lymphoma Specific Charity who have lots of information, videos and run regular regional online Lymphoma Zoom support groups.

Although it’s a Lymphoma charity there is a crossover with CLL and SLL so don’t let’s this put you off from looking through the great info in the site ((hugs))

lymphoma-action.org.uk/.../chronic-lymphocytic-leukaemia-cll-and-small-lymphocytic-lymphoma-sll

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge