Hey :)

• 1 reply
  • 4 subscribers

Hi, 

I have been diagnosed with leukemia this week, my doctor is thinking its CML, waiting for Monday now to have it confirmed. 

I am 30 years old and have an amazing boy who is only six. I have had symptoms for over a year now but just brushed it off as something else. I went to see my GP back in Feb because of pain in my arm and they sent me for physio which I thought helped a bit but Ive still had painful joints. The pain came back last week in my leg. This happened last Friday and I had my blood tests done on Monday. Later in the afternoon I received a phone call to go the hospital as my white blood cells were 143 and my red cells were very low. The GP told me I could have an infection in my leg so I really went to the hospital oblivious. Well, I was told I have a blood cancer and was sent for bone marrow aspiration the next day. The doctor told me he thinks it's CML but they have to wait for the full results. My white count went down to 121 (had blood test done yesterday). They gave me hydro on Tuesday so I guess it's working?

I know I can only wait for Monday but I am so scared which I guess is normal. Slight smile

Anyway hello to you all beautiful people, I will be happy to chat with someone, I dont want to burden my family with my fears as I know they are putting a brave face on for me. 

Also thank you if you read this and you probably noticed that English is not my first language so apologies for any mistakes! X

• Hi  and welcome to this corner of the Community although I am always sorry to read about your possible CML diagnosis. I am Mike and I help out around our various Blood Cancer groups.

I don’t have Chronic Myeloid Leukaemia (CML) but for some context I was diagnosed way back in 1999 at 43 with a rare (8 in a million) incurable but treatable type of Cutaneous T-Cell NHL (a type of slow growing Low-grade non-Hodgkin lymphoma) ……. eventually reaching Stage 4a in late 2013 when a second, also rare (4 in a million) type of aggressive Peripheral T-Cell - Not Otherwise Specified NHL (a type of fast growing High-grade non-Hodgkin lymphoma) was then presenting so although my Lymphoma ‘type’ is different I most definitely appreciate the challenges of this journey rather well.

CML is on the rare side, but let’s look for any group members to pick up on your post and get back to you. You can also click on the main ‘CML Group’ title and this will bring up all the group posts. Have a look at the posts and as always you can hit reply to any post and connect in with the wider group conversations.

You may find it helpful to call the Macmillan Support Line open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear.

We also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow a few working days for a reply.

For good information do check out Leukaemia Care UK who produce very good information and run various support platforms including their Buddy Scheme, they also have a Support Line on 08088 010 444

You may also want to check to see if you have a Maggie's Centre in your area as these folks are amazing and most centres do run monthly Heamatology Support Groups and the one I attend does have a person with CML in it so worth checking.

Always around to help more or just to chat

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge