Loss of taste

• 2 replies
  • 5 subscribers

Good morning,

I am new to the Forum having been diagnosed with CML late September, so far going through the denial and acceptance phase. Currently on 200mg of Imatinib, reduced from 400 due to reaction resulting in a rash. What I have noticed, among other things, is my loss of taste for certain foods and drinks, I certainly miss my glass of red wine now!. Has anyone developed or investigated food recipes for CML sufferers if so I would love to hear what you found.

• Hi   and welcome to this corner of the Community although I am always sorry to read about your CML journey. I am Mike and I help out around our various Blood Cancer groups.

I don’t have Chronic Myeloid Leukaemia (CML) but I was diagnosed way back in 1999 with a rare, incurable but treatable type of NHL reaching Stage 4a in late 2013 so although my Blood Cancer ‘type’ is different I do appreciate the journey rather well.

Loss of taste is one of the unfortunate side effects of treatment but I always seen this as if it’s affecting me in this way what was it doing to my cancer.

During treatment the body needs fuel and this fuel is food so at times you have to push past the down side of food not tasting as good as it once did and look at this as a temporary need for fuel your body. 

One thing I did to help stimulate my taste buds was get fresh pineapple and blitz it in a good processor then put it into ice-cube trays and freeze it….. then regularly suck on the cubes more so before eating food.

There we’re no specific recipes but looking more at trying more intense flavours using spices. 

For good information do check out Leukaemia Care UK who produce very good information and run various support platforms including their Buddy Scheme, they also have a Support Line on 08088 010 444

You may also want to check to see if you have a Maggie's Centre in your area as these folks are amazing and most centres do run monthly Heamatology Support Groups….. the one I attend does have a person with CML in it so worth checking.

Always around to help more or just to chat

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge