Leeds lad diagnosed February 2022

• 3 replies
  • 4 subscribers

Hello, I have been diagnosed with CML back in February after visiting my GP with a "lump" on the left side of my abdomen.  After taking a blood sample the GP phoned me the next day and told me that I was to go to the local hospital here in Leeds for confirmation.  It was a shock after getting the phone call from my GP as she told me what the worst case scenario was, blood cancer, but I had to go to the hospital for further tests.

Whilst at the hospital was advised that they needed to take a sample of bone marrow which I found not to be a pleasant experience but was glad when it was over. They put me on a course of treatment straight away to get my white blood cells down.

Four months in to the treatment, imatinib once a day, I am getting pain in my left ankle and it looks like it is slightly swollen compared to my right ankle.  Other than this, I don't have any other issues with CML or the taking of imatinib.    

• Hi  and a warm welcome to this corner of the Community although I am always sorry to see folks joining us. I am Mike and I help out around our various Blood Cancer groups.

I don’t have CML but I was diagnosed back in 1999 with a rare, incurable type of NHL Stage 4a so although my Blood Cancer ‘type’ is different I understand the challenges of this journey well.

I have had a very different treatment journey so let’s look for some of the group members to pick up on your post. You can also look through the various other posts (hit the main group name and scroll down) and as always you can hit reply and ask some questions and see if the member is looking in.

For good information do check out Leukaemia Care UK who produce very good information and various support platforms including their Buddy Scheme where you can be connected up with someone who has walked the walk.

Always around to help more or just to chat.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• A further update to my condition.

I recently received a letter from my consultant at the hospital which states that after 5 months of treatment using Imatinib they have confirmed that I am in major molecular remission.  I am still taking the Imatinib at 400mg daily and am tolerating it nicely.  Apart from the occasional heartburn I have no other issues.  

Long may it continue.

• Great news and yes, long my this continue.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge