Diagnosis 27y old male

• 1 reply
  • 4 subscribers

Hi All,

I was diagnosed with CML on the 13th (my lucky but maybe not so lucky number) of this month and I am 27 years old. I am still trying to come to terms with my diagnosis and my bone marrow biopsy has crippled me during the last few days. Is there anyone else who was diagnosed in their 20s/30s?

How did you go about telling your friends and non-direct family? Did you tell anyone and if so at what stage? I am not sure whether I want to tell them as I don’t want to be treated differently.

Also, I will need to work from home for a few months to start with. I am conscious that I am at a higher risk of infections but I want to get back into the gym and go out and see friends. Any advice on this?

I started imatinib yesterday and I really hope I don’t experience any side effects.

Thanks!

• Hi  and welcome to this corner of the Community although always sorry to see folks joining us. I am Mike  and I help out around our blood cancer groups.

I don’t have CML but was diagnosed way back in 1999 with a rare incurable but treatable type of skin NHL Stage 4a so although my blood cancer ‘type’ is different I have experienced lots of treatments used but not necessarily the exact same drug mix but understand this journey rather well unfortunately.

Lets look for some of the group members to pick up on your post, you can search for posts talking about imatinib by putting this into the search tool Mag near the top and you can hit reply to these posts and see if the members are still looking in.

It’s always good to talk so do call the Macmillan Support Services on 0808 808 00 00 - most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week Clicking here to see what is available. This service provides lots of cancer information, emotional support, benefit and financial guidance or just a listening ear.

Always around to chat.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge