Diagnosed 2 months back

• 3 replies
  • 4 subscribers

Hello,

I have been diagnosed with CML 2 months back and currently on Imatinib 400. I have lost taste for most of the food items and having nausea frequently. Also wbc count fluctuate too much every week. Any ideas / suggestion would help

• Hi  and welcome to this corner of the Community although I am always sorry to read about your diagnosis. I am Mike and I help out around our various Blood Cancer groups.

I don’t have Chronic Myeloid Leukaemia (CML) but I was diagnosed way back in 1999 with a rare, incurable but treatable type of NHL reaching Stage 4a in late 2013 so although my Blood Cancer ‘type’ is different I do appreciate the journey rather well.

CML is on the rare side, but let’s look for any group members to pick up on your post and get back to you.

Your WBC count fluctuating is most likely down to your treatment but normally this will recover once your treatment leaves your body.

The rusty penny taste problems often happens and there are no simple fix…. try stronger flavours. You can also try blitzing up some pineapple and putting into ice cube trays and freezing them and once frozen you can suck on them - I found this helped me.

Nausea can be challenging but do talk this through with your clinical team as there are many different types of anti-nausea meds….. I had to regularly change them over my treatment.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks Mike, hope you are doing well.

• I am doing great  I am now over 8 years out from my last treatment and getting on with life. 

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge