CML emotions

• 2 replies
  • 4 subscribers

I was diagnosed in March after returning to my GP believing I was going through another bout of anxiety and depression which had started before Christmas.
I increased my antidepressants and had a blood test which indicated I had Chronic Myeloid Leukaemia. This was confirmed after further blood tests and a bone Marrow biopsy. I was prescribed Imatinib that in just over a month has brought my white blood cell count back down to 7.7 in the normal range.

I am still very tearful and wake every morning feeling anxious. Is this part of the condition to be feeling so low for a very long time?

Thank you in advance for any help and support.

• Hi  good to hear that your treatment is making a difference.

Everyone reacts differently once they receive a cancer diagnosis and find their way of dealing with the journey.

I personally accepted that when I was diagnosed with my rare NHL that this was the journey I had to navigate so for the past 23+ year I have focused on controlling the battle between the ears and not letting my cancer define me but me defining my life.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing.

Macmillan have also teamed up with Bupa to offer up to 6 free counselling sessions for people struggling emotionally because they are living with cancer. Clicking on the link will give you more information about this.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hello, I'm Catherine-Aure from Paris/France. I had a CML for 5 years now. Three different traitments ( now Ponatinib, it seems work ),I'm a psychologist ( that's help ! ). Imatinib was very bad for me because of hard side effects. So, I changed for Dasatinib, the same, and now Ponatinib, that's better. I changed my hematologist for three times; I need to work with an empathic team to fight again this disease.Perhaps your anxiety is parially because you're very tired with this treatment . The important thing to have in mind is the word " chronical ". As it's chronical, of course it will be long and perhaps a life with treatments but you're still here in the world ! Sorry for my unperfect english, I don't use a translator ! Have a very nice day where you are and be sure you're not alone with this problem. All the best.