CML

• 2 replies
  • 5 subscribers

Hi guys and girls. 

it’s taken a lot of inner debate to write on here…. Here goes….  I was diagnosed with CML the week before Christmas and life has been bonkers ever since! Christmas was rather a blur after a stay in hospital the week before with a virus and then treatment beginning….. All because I woke up 1 morning with a random black eye and the GP took my bloods … possibly a very lucky black eye), 

I returned to work immediately after the Christmas break and with 10.5 hour days it’s a little tiring. I felt ok until last weekend, when I began to feel a little tearful for the first time. Expecting things to go swimmingly I then developed a kidney injury after finishing chemo tablets and starting Imatinib. I have restarted after a weeks break and we will see how that goes. Kidneys have recovered and I can only think that it may well be the treatment. 

my temperature is up and down also, though my bloods are ok, so perhaps I am just fighting something. Has anybody else had raised temperatures as a symptom of their illness? 

This seems to feel the toughest bit emotionally as I am not yet established on any treatment and this week I have felt really guilty for thinking that I am just functioning each day and feeling so uneasy about things, when there is so much hope with this blood cancer in comparison to so many others with a cancer diagnosis. 

Perhaps I should man up! The weekend is here though and the weather looks lovely down here in the south! 

Best wishes to you all x

• Hi   and welcome to this corner of the Community although I am always sorry to see folks joining us. I am Mike and I help out around our various Blood Cancer groups.

I don’t have Chronic Myeloid Leukaemia (CML) but I was diagnosed back in 1999 with a rare, incurable but treatable type of Non Hodgkin's Lymphoma reaching Stage 4a in late 2013 so although my Blood Cancer ‘type’ is different I appreciate the journey rather well.

Raised temperatures are part of living and going through treatment so do ensure you report in any temperature that is over 37.5 and lasts for more than an hour as you may well have an infection.

Let's look for some of the group members to pick up on your post. You click on the CML Group title and this will bring up all the older posts. Have a look at them and as always you can hit reply to any post and see if the member is still using the community.

The Macmillan Support Line is open from 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00 where you can talk with someone about specific cancer and practical information, get emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just connect with a listening ear. 

We also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow a few working days for a reply.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks provide amazing support and the Heamatology Support Group I attend at our Maggie’s have a few folks with CML.

For good information do check out Leukaemia Care UK who produce very good information and run various support platforms including their Buddy Scheme, they also have a Support Line on 08088 010 444

Do get back to me if you need further help.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hello Maisie moo, I too have just recently been diagnosed and trying to navigate this minefield. I am staring on Dasatinib and trying very hard not to catastrophize but it’s difficult at times as feel I’m still in shock. 
    People have said things like this is the cancer to have and treatment has advanced……I feel like shouting oh lucky me!! I know they mean well but it’s not helping at the moment. I’m a women 48 years and I’m finding I need to find a person like me so I’m just searching for that at the moment and coasting in disbelief.