Imatanib and sickness

• 3 replies
  • 4 subscribers

Hi all,

I was recently diagnosed with CML and started on Imatnib on Friday. Myself and Imatanib do not appear to be friends ha ha. I am being sick approximately 15mins after taking it.

I obviously do not want to be sick at all but my main concern at the moment is how quickly I am being sick, I don't imagine much of the drug is getting into my system.

Anyone got any tips or hints? I'm 2 for 2 success rate so far.

The worst bit is I take them with/after food so of course my whole meal (undigested) comes back up with it. Not good in the long term.

I have been told I can dissolve it in apple juice? This may help.it absorb quicker perhaps? But I'm wondering if on that basis I also get sick quicker. 

Any ideas to try I would  e grateful. I'm also not sure how long I should.persevere with them? Does your body adapt to them on some level and get used to them? 

Thanks in advance :) 

• Hi  and a warm welcome to this corner of the Community although I am always sorry to see folks joining us. I am Mike and I help out around our various Lymphoma Blood Cancer groups.

I don’t have CML but I was diagnosed way back in 1999 with a rare, incurable but treatable type of Non Hodgkin’s Lymphoma Stage 4a so although my Blood Cancer ‘type’ is different I do appreciate the challenges of this journey rather well.

I have not had Imatanib but have had many many types of treatments. All my chemo has been IV but when it comes tablets and capsules (at my worst I was taking about 40 a day)  there is no one trick fits all when it comes to taking drugs.

Tablets and capsules can be ‘mentally’ hard to take so we expect to be sick…… as well as the bodies delayed reaction to taking tablets and capsules.

I used to take all my oral meds with carbonated water as it tricks the nerves in our digestive system……. but the main thing to do is talk with your clinical team as there are many anti sickness meds available and often it takes time for the ‘best’ med to be be found.

Lets look for some of the group members to pick up on your post. You can also put Imatanib into the search Mag tool near the top hit ‘anywhere’ and this will bring up all the posts with this word and as always you can hit reply and ask some questions and see if the member is looking in.

Always around to help more or just to chat

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you so much. The carbonated water is an excellent m tip.and I will try this today.

I will definitely also contact my CNS nurse.later as well. I just didn't want to bother her if I could avoid it.

• Never ever think you are bothering your CNS, this is what they are there for….. lots of folks tend to suffer in silence but there is no need….. I had 100s of hours of treatment and I actually was only sick a few times but felt sick a lot.

We have to gradually play with the type of anti sickness drugs as each change of medication brought it’s own challenges (You can see my story by hitting my community name)

I do hope that this can settle down for you and you can find some rest bite from this.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge