CML just diagnosed

• 4 replies
  • 6 subscribers

Hi there, was diagnosed with CML on 12th January. I’m 40 years old and having a young family, I was looking to get fed back on the outlook for the future, is it still possible to have somewhat of a normal life? Is there anything I should or shouldn’t be doing to help myself? Any information would be great coming from people who have CML and anything I should be looking out for. Many thanks 

• Hi. I'm 40 as well and was diagnosed about a year and a half ago. Yes you can definitely have a normal life! I'm still trying to settle on the right TKIs but hopefully will get there soon. Everyone is different but I found the imatinib side affects fairly minimal, dasatinib not so much, but again, everyone is different. Too soon to say with nilotinib but all good so far.

The best advise I can give is to listen to your doctors and always ask questions if you are not sure about anything. They should explain everything and what your best options are. CML if properly treated can seemingly give a lot of people the same life span as a normal person so that's a plus and there's enough different TKIs to rotate through if you have bad side affects with one of them.

Feel free to message me / post here if you want to know anything specific. I'm not an expert but if I can answer i will.

• Hi mrgee thanks so much for the fed back, I’m currently on the inmatinib and as of yet no side effects. Hopefully you’ll get settled on a TKI soon. Thanks again and if I have any specific queries hopefully I can ask u on here. 

1. Hi there Patrick, like you I was diagnosed in January with CML and am taking Imatinib, bloods still up and down, but its early days. What I have found is that I need to get plenty of sleep & now seem prone to throat/chest infections, I would say get advise from your Dr straight away if you don't feel well, get seen early, as it can escalate. Good luck and hope all goes well for you in the future.
  • Hi there, thanks for the reply.  I’m on the imatinib also and like your self im finding I need plenty of sleep.  I hope your bloods settle soon and wish you all the best for the future.