Recent diagnosis

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 3 subscribers

Hi, I went to my GP 4 weeks ago, got blood tests done there and then, got a phone call late that afternoon to say I had a raised WBC count and an appointment  had been made for me at the Haematology Dept to see a consultant the following day. He told me straight away it was good news, I had leukaemia, that it wasn't curable but it was controllable. I had more blood tests done and a bone marrow test the following day. I went back to see the consultant the following week and was told my WBC  count was 110. I was put on Hydroxycarbamide and and to go back to hospital every week to Haematology for blood tests. I too that for two weeks and last week I was changed to Imatinib 400mg, with bloods to be done every two weeks. I've only been taking it for five days so no sign of any side effects yet.

It has all happened so quickly, though we are grateful for a diligent GP. And a really good consultant.

But I've decided, life as usual and deal with things as they come.

Anyone else had a diagnose this quick?

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Very similar diagnosis 11 years ago though the oncologist I saw suggested a bone marrow transplant might be appropriate. It was only when I pressed her about chemotherapy that she suggested taking Glivec. I've been taking Glivec since diagnosis and apart from deep fatigue I'm okay. More impressively at age 55 I became a father to a healthy active baby son. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Congratulations on becoming a Dad. I've now been on Imatinib for 6 weeks. Worst side effect is feeling cold during the day then to hot when in bed. Get tired quicker than I used to, but nothing I can't cope with. Now get blood test and see consultant every 4 weeks.