Stage 2a end of treatment.

• 2 replies
  • 33 subscribers

Hi i was diagnosed as a stage 2a cervical cancer. Hpv related 

This diagnosis completely floored me as it certainly wasn't expected after I attended for a colposcopy.

I then had a ct scan which luckily was ok. The wait for my plan was just awful, telling the children was the worst.

I had 25 radio and 5 cisplatins. The side effects that I experienced I guess all manageable and I hoped not permanent.

Tiredness and a really unusual sleep pattern. I guess that was the dexamethasone. Bloatedness ,nausea, heart burn,loose stools,constipation,headache, change in appetite,urine infection,thrush.

I started to feel a bit more normal when all my sessions were done. Which was a relief as I didn't have to go to any appointments. After about 2 weeks then I went for PDR Brachytherapy.

Well this was the treatment that I was most scared about.

I won't lie I found it all horrendously painful and traumatic.

I knew it was a crucial part of my plan and I managed to complete it.

So now 2 weeks on I am coming to terms and trying to get my head around what  have just been through.

My side effects from Brachytherapy when at home were generally body stiffness and soreness. Pelvic discomfort and loose stools. Back ache 

I have rested well and I am now beginning to be more active however I am aware that this will take time.

My next issues are the dilators which i am dreading and also now the worry of did  my treatment work and all the uncertainty of the future.

I am grateful that they found it when they did and that i was able to complete all my treatment.

I read these post during my treatment so maybe mine may help some one else.

• Hi 4paws welcome to the forum and jeezo you have been through the mill, that's for sure.   I dont know enough about all that has happened for you  to support you as best as any of us can, but I know that this will  bump your post onto the thread. Lots of lovely folks there who I'm sure will pop on for a chat and also to thank you for sharing your story as you say yourself this can be of help for others so thank you for sharing this with us.

Sending some hugs your way for now. 

gail

Community Champion Badge

• Hi  and welcome to our group.

I’m glad to read that you have successfully completed your treatment and are recovering now-it can take a bit of time to fully recover from the effects of this treatment as it’s so intense, but you just need to look after yourself and gradually get yourself back to how you were before. 

I notice you are dreading the dilators but try not to worry about these too much in advance as it’s better to be relaxed when you try to use them. I was given mine to start using before my treatment ended, and they are a bit daunting when you see the set! They are important post treatment to help with keeping everything open inside to make future internal examinations easier, as pelvic radiotherapy can cause issues with this. I never managed to use the biggest size, and this was ok. I used plenty of lube and relaxed as much as I could and found them straightforward. You need to be gentle and use a circling motion from side to side to get the most benefit-don’t just stick it in and leave it there! I tried to use them every few days, but if you are in a sexual relationship you might not need to use them like this. The nhs issue dilators are rigid plastic, but you can buy silicone ones which you may feel more comfortable with.

You should have a check up around 6 weeks after treatment is finished with, where you will have a chat and an internal examination, and a follow up mri scan around 3 months after treatment. We all have a bit of anxiety around these checks and finding out if treatment has been successful, but the hope is to get a Ned result (no evidence of disease). 

Thank you for sharing your story with us-I hope you’ll stay in the group and let us know how you get on. There is always support here, and help for you going forward.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm