Confused and worried

• 7 replies
  • 32 subscribers

Hello !

Feeling totally overwhelmed and completely uninformed 

I had an abnormal smear..referred for colposcopy at the end of May. Met consultant doing colposcopy and he explained something about stages and I was stage 2-3? 

Had colposcopy and treatment to remove abnormal cells and a biopsy there and then. Was told this treatment essentially 'reset' so no more abnormal cells follow up would likely be smear in 6 months and biopsy results by post.

Went on an extended 6 week trip and 1 week in a letter arrived with another colposcopy appointment (and no results)dated 2 weeks from letter which I had to get changed as in another country. New appointment is Sept 11 as consultant is on holiday throughout August 

I called the office as don't know if I'm having another colposcopy..if so what to do/what is being looked for?r Or face to face results? Secretary was lovely but couldn't tell me 

Don't really know what I'm asking but is this a regular step? Guess I'm just worried and sept just seems so long away...

Anyway thanks for reading

• Hi  and welcome to our group.

I’m always sorry to read when ladies haven’t been told much about procedures which they’re having which make us more worried.

Abnormal cells are described as being on one of 3 different grades rather than stages (which is a term used for cancer).  These abnormal cells are graded as 1,2 or 3 depending on how they look under the microscope. The hope is that these abnormal cells will be removed by the LLETZ/LOOP treatment with a clear margin of tissue around them to be sure everything has been cleared.

I don’t know why you need to have another appointment, but sometimes not all the cells are removed at the first treatment so you need to go back and have the procedure repeated. The secretary shouldn’t give results-they aren’t allowed to-so it’s normal to get your results from the doctor/consultant. This is so they can explain what has been found and if anything further is required, so that’s quite normal. 

It can also be possible for cancerous cells to have been found from the biopsy, but that’s only a possibility and not a certainty.I know it’s worrying, but try not to imagine any worst case scenario just yet. It’s really not too long until your appointment, although it will seem endless while you are waiting without knowing more.

Hopefully you just need to have more cells removed to be sure everything has been cleared but please keep in touch and let us know how you get on. How are you feeling at the moment? I hope you’re doing ok, but make sure you let the clinic know if you have anything which is troubling you, like bleeding, pain etc.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi Sarah, thanks for reading and replying.

I'm generally trying to ignore the endless what if scenarios as I prefer to deal with facts and plan from there but there are definitely times when the worry creeps in.

He may well have used grades in the explanation and I am just misremembering. I know he told me he had removed all abnormal cells and taken a biopsy and I remember also he used iodine during the procedure which I think was to make the contrast or view clearer as I was told there would be brownish discharge from using it.

I guess I'm surprised/concerned as there would be no way of knowing there were cells not removed without another colposcopy and he said he had removed them all leading me to think it's results I'm going for. I'm likely to have my period on the date and the letter before 1st appointment/colposcopy said to rearrange if that was the case although the secretary since said it wasn't an issue if I had my period to still have a colposcopy 

I appreciate the secretary can't give results I more wanted to know if I was going in for results or another colposcopy but the 11th September will reveal all lol

Urghhh as I'm sure goes for everyone, the waiting is really hard 

Thank you x

• Yes, the waiting is tough so I think we’d all understand that and the stress of it. 

When you have a colposcopy a solution is applied which shows up the abnormal cells, but sometimes when the abnormal cells are removed there isn’t a clear enough margin of healthy tissue around the area. That can only be known when the results are looked at in the lab and analysed. The clear margin is needed to make sure nothing is left behind.

Sometimes results are given by letter but other doctors prefer that you go in to get them as this also gives you the chance to ask any questions or clarify anything you’re unsure about. It’s difficult not knowing if you are having a results appointment only, or another colposcopy, so I appreciate that’s a concern for you.

My own consultant has never given me any results by letter or over the phone-I’ve always had a face to face appointment whether results were good or not so good, so it can be hard to second guess what will happen. Try not to let your thoughts run away with themselves just yet!

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• Hi Sarah

Update. I was at the appointment today and it was going for results as suspected not another procedure. It was a lletz performed at 1st apt and biopsy results have shown CGIN cells and I am now waiting for an appointment to have a cold cone biopsy under general anesthetic to determine if there are more skip legions ? Am I correct this is diagnostic not treatment?

The consultant did say potential to go straight to hysterectomy but wanted to do this biopsy first? I guess I'm asking is it possible that this cone biopsy has the potential to rule out a need for further treatment such as hysterectomy but is so what about the detected cgin cells? 

I'm going to need to get better at asking questions but sitting in a room with that going on my brain doesn't seem to function fully and form the questions until after I've left

Thanks 

• Hi  

Thanks for the update. Yes, you are correct that the cold knife cone biopsy is a diagnostic test and not a treatment. It is always done under general anaesthetic and will take tissue from your cervix to be analysed. 

CGIN cells refer to cells which are higher up in the cervical canal, so can be missed in screening tests, and having the cone biopsy will enable the doctors hopefully to get and remove a section of cervical tissue which is analysed to decide on any further treatment required. 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• Thank you for the information. And so early in the morning!

Have a good day x

• I’ve got early blood tests at the doctor this morning so need to be organised and up early! Need to be drinking plenty water before I go to make it easier to get my veins to cooperate.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum