After treatment

• 14 replies
  • 31 subscribers

Hi everyone Iv just finished my treatment end of April I had chemotherapy radiotherapy and brachytherapy together and my life has been a nightmare since I had really bad diarrhoea for about 5 weeks after treatment finished then because the diarrhoea was so bad I got piles and still suffering from that now, my depression and anxiety has got so bad Iv also been getting pains where the tumour was and a small amount of discharge my MRI isn’t until October but im so worried it’s not gone I spend most my days crying and worrying please help someone xx 

• Hi  and welcome to our group.

I’m so sorry to read how bad things have been since you finished your treatment-it sounds like things are really difficult for you both physically and mentally.

Usually in the UK we get an MRI 3 months post treatment, so it does seem a long time to wait until October for yours. Have you had any checkups since your treatment ended? It would be typical to have a check up 6 weeks post treatment for an internal exam and check up on how you’re doing generally. 

You don’t say what stage of cancer you had, but many of us have been through the same regime as you’ve done-some ladies are still experiencing the effects from that. It’s not uncommon for the effects to persist for some time, 

I’m going to be asking questions here-I’m sorry about being inquisitive, but it might help give you some pointers on where to get some immediate help. Have you phoned your CNS for any advice, or to get another appointment with your consultant if you haven’t seen anyone recently? It might be useful to be examined and check on your discharge for example, and have a physical exam to check on healing inside.  Have you been diagnosed with piles and got anything to help with those? Do you take anything for the pain you’re still experiencing? 

It seems that you may need help in dealing with your depression and anxiety, so could you make an appointment with your gp to discuss this and potentially get some help in the short term with medication or other help?

It’s a huge deal to be diagnosed with this cancer and go through the intensive treatment required, but lots of us still need help, either mental or physical once treatment is over. It’s a scary time too-we can feel left on our own after the constant rounds of tests and treatment, and it can be hard to cope on our own afterwards without the safety net of hospital and doctor visits. It might really help you to talk your feelings through with a counsellor. 

Macmillan have teamed up with BUPA to offer some free counselling sessions for cancer patients, and I’d like to recommend that you call the support line in my signature to have a chat to see if this could be arranged. You can also get emotional support from this helpline and expert advice from the nurses through this number. The staff are wonderful. 

I’m really glad you’ve felt able to reach out in the group for help too. Those of us who have been through this will really recognise how you’re feeling and will try and help support you from our own experiences.

I think when you’re feeling pretty miserable, as you are, it can magnify the fears that treatment has not worked, and that’s quite natural. However, treatment can be very successful, and it’s unfortunate we have to wait to find that out. But radiotherapy continues to work in our bodies after treatment has finished, so early scanning might not give the full picture of how treatment has gone. 

We have a lovely group of ladies here who understand what you’re going through and hopefully some will be along to chat. Do you have good family and friend support around you too? 

Please don’t feel alone with this-we are here to support as much as we can, and it can sometimes be easier to unburden your worries in a group like this where ladies have gone through the same and “get it” rather than feeling you are worrying your close family. 

Please post as much as you like and there will be someone to listen-it can be about anything:your physical issues or your emotional problems. There will be others who have gone through or are going through the same.

Please take good care and keep in touch.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi my mri scan is 6 months after treatment finished so it’s just a long time to wait, my cancer was stage 2b I just think I’m losing my mind since I got diagnosed it’s ruined my life I just keep thiCrying I’m going to die and leave my son behind Cry 

• It is a long time to wait, especially since you are clearly so distressed and anxious. I think you should see a doctor well before you have your scan because of your physical symptoms and your mental state. 

Many of us us, including myself have had stage 2b cervical cancer and had successful treatment, as have other ladies at higher stages.

We can’t help having negative thoughts at times-we’re only human after all-but it’s more helpful for us to believe in the treatment and the fact that it can be very successful. We worry about our children, naturally, but I held onto my gynaecologist’s words when he said he was treating me to cure me. 

I was in hospital recently for an issue unrelated to my cancer, and chatting to a doctor he told me they see much better results in treatment and recovery from patients who have a positive mindset. I understand not being able to be positive all the time, it’s just not possible, but the mind is a powerful tool in helping us. Our bodies can manifest all sorts of aches and pains and worries when we only focus on that. I know that-I’ve been there! 

But when I was first diagnosed I told myself every single day that I would be well, and the treatment would work. I didn’t know if it would, but it helped me focus. I’m concerned that you’re thinking you are going to be leaving your son, when you don’t know how well the treatment has gone. I refuse to think I’m leaving anyone, and that’s having gone through this cancer twice now. I’m still here, still well, almost 5 years after my original diagnosis. There are plenty of success stories out there. 

Are you willing to try any self help techniques to try and improve your mental health? Meditation, mindfulness and deep breathing can all help to reduce anxiety. As can not focusing all day every day on cancer. You’ve gone through the treatment and are in that horrible waiting period at the moment. I understand how stressful that is. But you need some help to be able to function. 

Please think about getting some professional help with your feelings and speak to your doctors. It’s not good for your general health to be spending your days in tears and worrying. I don’t mean to be harsh, but I’ve been dealing with this for a long time, and have learned a lot along the way about helping ourselves, and seeking help from professionals when we need it, 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• You did this twice? What happened treatment wise the second time round? What stage was you second time round? Xx

• Yes, my cancer did recur, but it’s not staged the second time around. It’s just called recurrent cervical cancer, but effectively stage 4 for the purposes of treatment. Treatment is different-you cannot have radiotherapy again in the same place. 

If you click my name my story and treatment is in my profile, but I don’t think it would be helpful for you to think about recurrence when you haven’t got your results from your first line treatment yet.  My story is quite unusual, and I would stress, NOT the norm. 

You can update your own profile with your details if you’d like to by adding your story in the profile box. Not everyone does, but it’s helpful to connect with others who’ve been through the same things, and saves you repeating yourself in answers. 

We are all unique, so please don’t think my story will be yours.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• If it’s stage 4 does that mean you can’t get rid of it xx

• Stage 4 would generally be thought of as incurable, though treatable, but it’s harder at a higher stage. I’m happy to have “no evidence of disease” as that’s as much as my doctors will ever commit to. 

For me, a stage is just a number. I’m an individual, not a statistic so I don’t focus on the number at all. But you are stage 2b which is a different thing altogether!

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• My god you poor thing Iv just read your story again and you’ve been through so much, I couldn’t do all this again xx 

• I had 25 radiotherapy 3 chemotherapy because I missed 2 and 4 sessions of brachytherapy I’m 39 not ready to leave my boy anytime soon xx 

• Please don’t feel sorry for me! I was incredibly lucky to be able to have my surgery-not everyone has that chance if they have a recurrence. It was a good thing! 

In my experience you do what you have to do to stay alive. Otherwise, what’s the alternative? It wasn’t something I wanted, I know that, and I wouldn’t be here without it. 

I’m trying to let you see that there are positive stories, and there are many others in the group who had successful chemoradiation and brachy. 

Focus on being there for your boy, not leaving him. There’s every chance your treatment will be very successful. 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum