Cramps in stomach

• 3 replies
  • 24 subscribers

Hi all I’m new to this so I’ll try and keep it short I’ve had 6 radiotherapy and 2 chemo but I’ve started to have a lot of pain in stomach is this normal or not please can someone suggest things I can do to help with pain thank u x

• Hi  and welcome to our group.

I think when you’re going through treatment it’s common to have tummy troubles, and the best thing to do is mention it when you are at your appointments, or weekly review which I’m expecting you will be having going through your radiotherapy treatments. 

There will be things you can be prescribed to help-and I was given anti sickness tablets, something to help with heartburn, and Buscopan to help with cramping. I also used a hot water bottle at home which was comforting. You need to make the team caring for you know about any symptoms or side effects, especially if they are new, as none of us in the group are medically trained, so we are only to say what happened for us personally.

Please let your nurse or the doctor know as they will be able to help, and don’t suffer in silence. It might be helpful for the other ladies in the group if you add a little bit of information to your profile about your diagnosis, stage of your caner and treatment plan as then we can see where you are in the process and it’s easier for us to try and give some advice based on our experiences. 

I hope you can get some help, and that you’ll let us know how you get on as you go through your treatment. You are welcome to be with us and ask any questions. Feel free to respond to other posts too where you will be able to speak to others going through the same things.

Sarah xx 

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thank u for getting back to me I am stage 2B got to have 5 weeks of radiotherapy and 5 weeks of chemo and three brachytherapy which I’m petrified of hope someone can put me at ease about that thank u xx

• Hi  

Thank you for confirming that-I was stage 2b too. I had the radiotherapy and chemo, but not brachytherapy. However, many of the ladies have been through this part of treatment so can help with that. I was scheduled to have it but wasn’t able to, but I was worried about it. I tried to think of it as the last big blast to the cancer and it only being a few days out of my life. 

As the brachytherapy is at the end of treatment, try not to focus on it for now-just concentrate on getting through your chemoradiation.

As you have not long started with your treatment plan, you should speak up now to  get help with the cramping. I found my side effects really kicked in 3 weeks into treatment but as soon as I let my team know, I was prescribed things immediately. Your consultant should review you in clinic weekly to see how things are going for you, so make sure you keep them posted with how you’re feeling. Your CNS should also be a good source of advice and help so phone them whoever you need to.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm