Severe cramping that has been advised as a side effect

• 3 replies
  • 23 subscribers

Hi

i was diagnosed in December 2023 with stage 3 cervical cancer 

I started my treatment on January 29th

this was 5 weeks of chemotherapy and radiotherapy. 5 sessions of chemo and 25 sessions of radiotherapy 

then in March I had brachytherapy and stayed in hospital for 4 days during this treatment 

Towards the end of February I started suffer with my bowels and it would be so painful to go to the toilet and the fatigue really hit me after the brachytherapy 

by May things seemed to be easing a little toilet wise and I could feel some energy coming back

then in the last week of May I started getting really bad cramps at the bottom of my stomach very similar to period pain cramps. These cramps have not gone away I’m constantly cramping but the level of pain varies in the last two weeks I have been advised that this is a side effect and they have just given me morphine to manage the pain. Even though it helps. The pains are still there and I’m constantly uncomfortable 

is this a common side effect? Has anyone else had it ?

it wasn’t on my list of side effects when I had to sign I was ok to start the treatment 

I just want to know if I can expect to deal with this for much longer. Because it’s so draining 

• Hi  and welcome to our group.

I’m sorry to read you’ve got such  level of pain that it requires morphine-that must be really difficult for you.

I didn’t have this cramping as a side effect from treatment personally-I was in a lot of pain before treatment, and even during it with side effects but I did find that things got a lot better once I’d been out of treatment a couple of weeks. This cramping wasn’t on any list of side effects advised to me that could persist post treatment and it’s never been mentioned to me at any point. 

You haven’t mentioned where you are in your follow up checks so I wondered if you could maybe let us know where you're up to with that? I had a check up at 6 weeks post treatment, an mri at 3 months out and 3 monthly internal examinations thereafter. 

Did you get an examination before being diagnosed with morphine for pain management? I think personally I’d want this to be checked out by your consultant if you haven’t been checked out very recently.

I hope others might come along and share their experiences-a number of ladies have successfully come through treatment for stage 3 so might be able to help. Meanwhile I hope you’ll keep with us updated with how you’re doing,

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi sarah

yeah it’s a lot at times. They have given me these slow releases morphine tablets that are meant to cover me for 12 hours. But I also have to take liquid morphine and paracetamol on top if I do get pain

i had an MRI and CT scan at the end of May and saw the oncologist middle of June. They were happy that the cancer had gone from my lymphnodes but they weren’t too sure if it had completely gone from my cervix. So I’m having more scans this week and seeing the oncologist on august 2nd and hopefully they will be telling me it’s all gone 

but regarding the pain. The oncologist says it has to be side effects. I had an external and internal ultrasound last week and they couldn’t find anything that would suggest where the pain is coming from. 
    so not really sure what to do. 
    The doctor did examine me and couldn’t see anything. 
    they have told me the best thing they can do is help me manage the pain. But even what I’m on isn’t doing the job completely 

• I really hope you’ll get clear scans-it’s good they’re doing more for you as they tend to be more accurate than ultrasounds. Is it mri and Ct again or will they do a petscan?

It’s really difficult not to get a definite NED result after the first scans post treatment, but I have seen other ladies who had further scans at 6 months out where they did get a NED result. 

I really hope things improve for you-I’ve not got experience of the morphine patches, but did have oramorph after my surgery which was very helpful. However I didn’t need to have this long term, and it’s not something they tend to want you on for too long normally. Better to find out the cause of the pain for you.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm