The 10%er

• 3 replies
  • 25 subscribers

Hi Everyone.

I was diagnosed with inoperable cervical cancer in May 23. My friend told me cancer was 60% dealing with other people and 40% helping yourself. Best advice I got! Hardest part is watching reactions to your news.

Waiting for the Plan is hard but treatment starts. 26 Radiotherapies, 3 chemotherapies, 3 Brachiotherapies, 1 ipicc line, 3 kidney stents, 3 kidney drains, 1 minor chemo leak, 1 Spinal leak, 1 Blood transfusion, 3 hospitals, lots of wards, endless numbers of staff and a Partridge In A Pear Tree!

Funny parts - chemo leak happened in Treatment Chair 13, didn't sit there again! Brachiotherapy, I just had to ask for a remote control after all when else would you get so many electrical leads attached to THERE. Radiotherapy, still have the suntan ladies, but not sure you want to see it! Prada, Tiffany's 2.0 and Gucci (kidney drains bags) were a source of amusement (not least when you catch one in a doorframe!) And a Spinal leak makes you infamous. 

Don't get me wrong the journey was challenging, the tunnel was dark at times but while there are treatment options there is light even if only a pinprick at the end. Keep moving forward, each day is new. Find the funny where you can, positivity heals faster. But as much as it healed me, it healed my family more and that was nearly more important. 

3 month scan shows no cancer and hopefully 2 kidney stents being removed soon. Long may it continue! Xxx

• Hi  and welcome to our group.

What a story you’ve got to tell! But you tell it with positivity and humour, and these qualities are so important going through everything this cancer involves. 

I’m glad to hear that your post treatment scan has shown treatment has been successful and you have no evidence of disease-that’s  a great result! Hopefully you’ll get your kidney stents out soon-I’ve not had them, and I’m sure you’d rather you didn’t! 

Your experience is such a positive and encouraging one for other ladies facing treatment to read, and I hope you’ll continue to contribute to the group to support others. You may want to add details of your story to your profile so that it’s easy to see the particular path you have travelled. You can see my story if you click on my name, and it saves you having to repeat yourself. 

I had lots of hospitals along the way-I used to call it my hospital bingo card-I was only missing the dental hospital for a full house! Joy

Lovely to have you with us, and I hope you’ll also benefit personally from sharing, and connecting with others.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi Chuckles,  I have so much admiration for your humour throughout everything you've been through and I'm also convinced that this humour has helped your recovery and such a good outcome.  Thank you so much for sharing and please keep us updated on your progress.  I thought I had it rough!!  But you are so correct, there are funny situations to be found in every scenario. I wish you the best of luck going forward - a big fan xxx

• Hi Snobird. Thank you so much for your kind thoughts. I find I have a lot to be thankful for, an amazing family and support network which got me through, but its hard to lie down and say Woe is Me when the uniforms still need ready on a Monday morning! Not to mention that it is very humbling when you see how many people round you are going through worse. Humour is so important because making those around you feel better has a direct knockon affect for yourself. The running joke was that the forms we complete for every procedure which show 90% of people are likely to have X syptoms, etc, well we could bet I was the 10% bracket every time. But that was 2023 and it is now 2024. New year, new start. But if I am able to help anyone in any way I would love to be able to give back the kindnesses which were shown to me. Best of luck to yourself also! xxx