Treatment finished 6 weeks ago - Exercise /tenderness & aching

• 6 replies
  • 25 subscribers

Hello ladies

I finished my brachytherapy 6 weeks ago, I had 25 radiotherapy sessions and 5 chemo sessions.

I feel like I've been recovering pretty well but have noticed that since I've started trying to do some light exercise - short walks, gentle Pilates, I've got tenderness /aching inside. I just wondered if others had the same experience and whether they persevered or took a step back.

Struggling also with the dilators, I started 3 weeks after Brachytherapy started and am still only ok with the smallest one !

I know we're all different but just wondered what other ladies experienced.

Sally xx

• Hi  

I bet you’re glad to be finished with all the treatment-it’s pretty intense, isn’t it? Light exercise is always thought to be beneficial, but your body has been through a lot internally, so it may be that you’re doing a bit much for now. Have you had a post treatment check up yet? I had one at 6 weeks out from treatment for a chat about how I was feeling and an internal exam. It’s a good chance to ask about any aching, just for reassurance that it’s normal. Maybe some of the other ladies will be able to chime in with their experience of post treatment exercise too. You can always phone your CNS too if you’re not due to be seen soon by your consultant. 

I was given the lovely dilators while I was still undergoing radiotherapy, but with my side effects it wasn’t the time to start using them! Once I did start using them, I only ever used the smallest size and the next one up. I didn’t have any pain or discomfort, but the thought of the largest one was just too much! The most important thing, I was told, is to use them regularly, and if that’s the smaller ones, then that’s ok. So long as you are keeping things open in there so you can still be examined etc, that’s the main thing. Don’t push yourself to where things are painful, as it will make it harder for you to use them. 

It sounds like things are generally going pretty well for you which is great to read, and encouraging especially for ladies just starting out on their treatment plan. Are you expecting a scan at 3 months out from treatment? I had an mri at that point, but it can vary. 

You may like to add details of your diagnosis and treatment to your profile-it can be helpful for others to read to be able to connect with ladies in similar situations. 

Hoping your recovery continues to go well.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thanks Sarah for your reply.

I've had a six week telephone chat but no face to face or internal exam. Thanks for the tip to phone my CNS, I hadn't thought about that and it's good to remember they are there in the void that follows treatment.

I think maybe I'm trying too hard with exercise and the dilators but will have a chat with her about that.

I have a consultation at the start of April and have a PET scan scheduled before that so fingers crossed.

Thanks for your thoughts and support.

Sally xx 

• I had my treatment in 2018, so things have changed now and moved more to telephone calls I guess. I must admit I liked the fact that I had regular face to face appointments, which were reassuring. My recurrence would not have been picked up without a face to face and internal exam, as I had no symptoms. 

I hope your petscan will show that your treatment has been successful, and definitely still use your CNS. It can feel after treatment like we have been abandoned in a way, but my nurse was always there and kept in touch, which again was reassuring.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• Hi Sally. Congratulations on being amazing! Your body has been through so much and you are pushing for the old normality. Me too, just had my 3 month scan. I am finding the dilators difficult but more because I am not using them enough if I am being honest. Finding a new norm is the answer.. fitness is definitely different after so many Radiotherapies and that's ok too. Recognise your limits but keep pushing, positivity is key. X

•  Hi  and welcome to our group.

I don’t think I’ve seen you post before so hello!  Sounds like you have a very positive attitude which is hugely important in all of this. Would you like to make your own new post to introduce yourself to the group and tell us about your diagnosis and treatment?  It’s really useful for other ladies to read of real experiences and how others have got on. I hope your scan results are good and everything goes well. Good to have you in the group, and I hope you’ll be able to share some of your experience with us.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• Hi Chuckles, thanks for your reply x Yes I think you are so right, I need a new normal and I need to not push so hard ! It's hard because you want to get back to some normality, especially in this awful waiting period.

I am trying to stay positive and feel generally I'm doing a pretty well  at it.

Well done you for getting through your treatment, I hope you don't have to wait too long for your scan results and I hope they are all good and happy news.

Take care xx