Abnormal cells

• 1 reply
  • 24 subscribers

I know someone who has just been told she has CIN 2 which means she is in the higher risk of developing cervical cancer.

I wanted to know if there is anyone who has had this and the outcome.

She dosnt have any children yet  but desperatly does in the future. She is worried her chances could be eliminated completly if it does develop as she would need surgery to remove adnormal cells. 

I have suggested about freezing eggs but want to know more about it. Of anyone has had this please advise.

Thankyou x

• Hi  and welcome to the group.

I haven’t been in the same situation so hope you don’t mind me replying as I had cancer, rather than abnormal cells. We don’t tend to get many posts about CIN, so I just wanted to make sure you had a reply.

CIN2 means there are abnormal cells, which may or may not be treated at this point but which are not cancer.  The treatment for this is not surgery, but a short procedure in clinic called a LLETZ, which removes these cells. It should have no effect on fertility or the ability to carry a baby, and I don’t believe there would be the option of freezing eggs on the NHS in this situation since it is not a cancer diagnosis.

It may be that the decision would be to just closely monitor your sister, as it is possible for these cells to regress to normal, especially as it sounds as if she is still young. If the LLETZ treatment is offered, this would be with a view to completely removing the abnormal cells and being called back to the clinic to check that this has been successful. It is possible to have more than one of these treatments, but hopefully this would not be required.

I understand how worrying it can be to find out you have abnormal cells, but it is very common and treatment is usually very successful. It doesn’t mean your sister would ever get cervical cancer so I’d try not to worry unnecessarily about this. Has she been told what will happen next?

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm