Sex after treatment

• 8 replies
  • 24 subscribers

Hello 

it’s been a year since my diagnosis of stage 3 cervical cancer. It had spread to my vagina so endured brachy therapy. I’ve not had sex now in 18 months. Anyone else in this situation? 

• Hi  and welcome to our group.

Many of the ladies in the group have been through brachytherapy, so I’m hoping they may be able to share some experience with you-I wasn’t able to have it as I had a pulmonary embolism the night before I was due to be admitted, but my tumour had spread into my vaginal wall so I wish it had been possible.

Did you use the dilators during or after treatment? I was given mine during radiotherapy and used them up until my cancer recurred, and I didn’t notice any difference in my vagina in those few months. I’m just wondering if you are feeling a physical inability to have sex since your treatment-ie pain or shortening? Is this something you have brought up at check ups? I didn’t have any issues with internal checks after treatment.

Part of the surgery following my recurrence was removal of my vagina, so obviously sex is not an option at all for me now, but I hope some of the other ladies might be able to join in to share how they have found things post treatment.

It’s a big thing to deal with on a psychological level too, I completely understand that.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi Sarah 

thank you so much for responding. Yes I’ve been using the dilators and all seems ok. Except my last check up the physical examination was very tender and painful. My problem is also physiological ! Probably more so. 

• Hi  

I was lucky in that I never found the examinations painful at all, but I’d just had external radiotherapy along with chemo in my first line treatment.

I did have counselling about a year after my surgery which I found very helpful. Maybe that’s something you could consider? The psychological impact of this cancer and its treatment can be just as hard as the physical I found. 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• How do I go about getting counselling ? 

• If you call the Macmillan support number in my signature, they can help with this. I had mine through Macmillan’s partnership with BUPA so give Macmillan a ring in the first instance and let them point you in the right direction. I hope counselling could help you deal with everything. 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• Hi  and welcome to our group.

I don’t think I’ve seen you post before, but my apologies if I’ve missed anything. Is there anything we can help you with? Would you like to share your story of what has brought you here? It’s helpful to connect with others who understand in my experience.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum