Cervical cancer diagnosis- the waiting

• 6 replies
  • 25 subscribers

Following on months of heavy bleeding on and off, I ended up in a&e and 2 days later, they found a mass on my cervix which they have said is cervical cancer. I’ve had an ultra sound, biopsy, a million blood tests, PET CT scan, CT scan. MRI to come on Friday. Yesterday I’m told I will also need to have sn examination under anaesthetic. This is week 3 after my diagnosis and I am struggling. Without confirmation yet as to what stage my cancer is at or a treatment plan, I feel like I’m drowning. I know these things take time but I can’t move forward or make any plans. Did they catch it in time or is it quite advanced etc etc???? And I can’t get answers until all the tests are in and reviewed. 

Does it get any easier? 

• Hi and welcome to the group!

I hope you’ll find it a helpful and supportive environment, and please feel free to post as much as you’d like with any questions.

I think we’ll all understand how hard it is waiting for the details to be confirmed and a treatment plan to be drawn up, but as you’ve said it all takes time. There are several steps needed to confirm the stage and if there is any spread and it is critical that this is done accurately as the treatment between early and more advanced stages will mean the difference between surgery or chemo/chemoradiation.

Week 3 from diagnosis is actually not a too long wait in terms of this-for me it took 6 weeks from diagnosis to actually starting my treatment by the time all my results were in. It’s tough waiting, but for now all you can do is sit tight and wait for all the results to be collated to make the right decision. 

I’m not sure personally that waiting does get any easier-waiting for scan results after treatment and such like are all difficult times. You’re in a horrible limbo state right now, but once you know your stage and plan you will be able to focus on what needs to be done, and in that respect it does get a bit easier.

Please keep in touch and let us know how you’re getting on, and if we can help at all with anything.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi Mat1979,  and welcome.  I think you are at the worst stage at the moment.  You just get so many appointments, some at very short notice and if it's anything like me, you feel as if you're getting swept along by a tidal wave.  Anyway, this does pass quite quickly and you will get a staging and a treatment plan which then helps you to feel more in control again.  I had an Examination Under Anaesthetic (EUA) but it was all over very quickly and as Sarah says, they do need the full picture before treatment to make sure that they treat everything that's there.  Whatever your stage it will be treatable so hang in there, three weeks is actually not that long.  I think I was 6-7 weeks before I started treatment.  Please chat with us and keep us up to date and ask any questions.  We are all with you xxx

• Thank you. It’s good to hear what the realistic time scales are. It’s all an unknown for me right now. I have my EUA booked for Monday now so just need to be patient x

• Thank you. It’s good to know there is such great support here. It’s felt quite isolating these last few weeks. I will keep you posted. Thank you again x

• We are all here to support each other, so please don’t ever feel too isolated. It’s a lonely road to travel, but we all understand what it feels like. I’ve had a biopsy under anaesthetic and it was very straightforward. Nice and quick, and no issues afterwards apart from a little cramping and a little bit of blood. No bother really. 

We want everything to move much more quickly than it does, because we are impatient to get on with dealing with it. Hang in there and keep talking to us,

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi Mat1979.  Yes patience is the hardest part of all this but from the sounds of it, you are almost to the treatment plan stage.  It will happen soon and then it will be full on.  Try to make the most of the downtime you have and let us know how you get on xxx