Emergency Referral

• 3 replies
  • 24 subscribers

Hi, I had a routine smear this morning. After the nurse had finished she said she was going to refer me to be seen as she said my cervix looked abnormal. I am

now terrified!! I have had an abnormal smear before but never been told at the actual smear appointment that something didn’t look right. Luckily, I have private health care through my work so I have been able to get an appointment tomorrow but has this happened to anyone before and what should I expect tomorrow? Thank you 

• Hi  and welcome to our group.

Sorry I wasn’t around to reply to your post yesterday, and I see you already have your appointment scheduled for today. I’m not sure exactly what you should expect at your appointment-my circumstances were different, so I had an internal examination, a hysteroscopy and some punch biopsies taken. But in my case there was a clearly visible lesion on my cervix. 

Try not to let your mind run away with itself-there may be nothing to be concerned about, but it’s better to get things checked out. At least you are not having to wait for an appointment and you should find out quickly if there is anything which needs further investigation. I hope you’ll come back and let us know how you get on. Good luck! 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi thanks for replying to me. I have had my appointment and she said there is definitely something there. She said it bleeds when she touches it but it looks like a smooth growth and not a bumpy one so she doesn’t think it’s anything really nasty. Need to have a Colposcopy and biopsy done. 

• Hopefully it’s nothing sinister and you’ll get reassurance from the next tests.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm