Diagnosed with bone mets yesterday

• 2 replies
  • 24 subscribers

I was diagnosed with secondary Breast Cancer to my hip and ribs/chest wall yesterday.

Waiting to hear about date for bone biopsy as they are unsure which cancer it is that has metastasized.  I was diagnosed with TNBC in 2018 and with ER (low) positive breast cancer in 2022. Treatment will be based on the results.

The oncologist has recommended Denosumab and possibly Capacitabine (depending on cancer type).  I have just been reading about the likely side effects and they are pretty horrendous. 

Has anyone else been on this treatment regime and how did they find it?

Many thanks in advance.

• Hi Coolcat,

My wife was on this combination at one point.

The Denosumab is to strengthen the bone, and will also help at controlling the cancer in the bone. Side effect was mainly mild bone pain.

Capecitabine is a tablet form of chemo that works for all types of breast cancer. The main side effect my wife had was hand & foot syndrome, where the skin gets red, inflamed and painful. Lots of hydration with creams helped.

Of course everyone can get different, or even no, side effects. In terms of all the treatments she has been on, this was one of the easier ones.

All the best,

Andy

• Hi Andy,

Thank you for your reply.  I'm hoping that any side effects will be mild. I had a bad time with  IV chemo the second time I was diagnosed with breast cancer, being hospitalised with neutropenic sepsis. You say that this has been one of the easier treatments your wife has been on so I'm feeling optimistic it will be the same for me.

Sending you and your wife my very best wishes.