• 2 replies
  • 25 subscribers

Hi, I have just joined and really don’t know where to start.

2019 my mum had HER+ breast cancer, she had a mastectomy, reconstruction, chemo and radiotherapy.

she has just been diagnosed with secondary breast cancer in her liver. I am heartbroken, she is my hero, I don’t know how to help her.

she has started chemo again and she has to go weekly for 6 months with scans in between to see how it is going.

i really don’t know how I’ll cope with watching my poor mum go through this all again knowing it can’t be cured. She is 63 and just doesn’t deserve this (no one does) 

I am hoping to get some advice on how I can help her through this until the end.

• So sorry to hear about your Mum. It will be so helpful for her to have a loving daughter like you. You Mum is probably very worried about you, that feeling of upsetting my loved ones was the hardest thing for me. Have you checked out the supporting a family member on this website. There is lots of info and a forum just for family members. I hold on to the fact that there are many treatment for SBC and many people on here live for many years. If you can help your mum enjoy the day that will help her thinking too much about the future. Easier said than done I know but I am also only recently diagnosed and most days I concentrate on simple things seeing my grandson, children and friends and walking the dog with my husband and then I feel very blessed. I do hope your mum gets on well with treatment and send my very best wishes to you both.

• Hi Lyn H, thank you for your response and I am so sorry about diagnosis. I hope you are doing ok.

I will look at the forum you mentioned - thank you for pointing that out to me. I too will hold onto the fact there are many treatments around for SBC and I hope your treatment plan goes well for you.

My mum has 2 grandsons she adores, I will make sure she spends as much time as possible with them and help her through a day at a time.

Take care of yourself and thanks again for the advice.