Build up of anxiety 13 mths post secondary breast cancer diagnosis

• 6 replies
  • 30 subscribers

Hi everyone 

I want to ask if anyone has any tips to tackle a recent build up of anxiety ++. 

I initially had breast cancer 25 yrs ago when I was in my early 30s with young children. IBack then my focus was getting treatment to enable me to survive as long as possible & to be there for my hubby & children .l was full of fight to survive & lead a normal life 

Fast forward to secondary breast cancer diagnosis 13 mths ago. I was in shock now grade 4  24 yrs after finishing my treatment for primary Br cancer. I am well aware that many people are not blessed to have that space in between primary & secondary indeed many being de novo metastatic breast cancer.

My ct scan results are due in about 2 wks . I have become a wee worry wart about everything my hubby my kids even my precious baby grandchildren. I have always been regarded as the strong person but I don't feel like that now.. We have also suffered the loss of more than our fair share of family members this past year too . 

I am sorry to off load but I really am struggling with this feeling of anxiety . Some of my closest friends are in denial about my diagnosis so that makes it hard to open up . Instead you find yourself saying I'm fine. 

Grateful for any tips thank you  

AliceT

• Hi AliceT

Welcome to the forum and I am sorry to hear that you have been diagnosed with Secondary Breast Cancer.  No need to apologise for off loading as what you are feeling is perfectly understandable and it's good to off load, particularly on here where the rest of us know where you are coming from.

Try doing things that you love to do to take your mind off things.  You might also find that journaling will help you to come to terms with what you are going through. 

Wishing you the best of luck with your results and with whatever treatment your medical team puts you on.

Best wishes

Daisy53

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Alice. I'm sorry to hear of your diagnosis. I was diagnosed with metastatic disease last April, 10 years after finishing full blown treatment. It is an awful shock and don't feel guilty for having had years in-between. 

I have anxiety build up, every time scans or appointments are due. I've read so many research papers etc looking for definite answers, which I don't find!

I eventually started going to counciling, run by a cancer charity in my area. This has really helped me, but it took me 7 months before I felt ready to take that step.

I'm continuing to go to counciling where I can talk about all my deep fears and anxieties without upsetting my nearest and dearest. It has helped me talk to them too.

Maybe this is something that might help you. You are not alone, so many of us have that constant background anxiety and not wanting to worry our loved ones.

Best wishes,

Sea Ranger. 

• Hi Daisy53 

Thank you for taking the time to reply to me it's very much appreciated.  

I've already been on treatment for 13 mths Ribociclib Letrozole & Ibandronic Acid. 

Thank you for your advice . It's the similar advice given to me this morning by a family member who is a counsellor. She talked about grounding , journaling & counselling. I think I had got myself into such a knot I couldn't think straight & didn't want in my head to bother her . As you can imagine she didn't judge but listened , let me cry talk through my fears etc . 

She will always be there for me when I want but thinks it's a good idea to also see if there is a counsellor nearby 

Thank you so much for your response 

Alice T 

• Hi Sea Ranger

Thank you so much for replying to my post it's very much appreciated. Yes I totally have anxiety abouts scans & appointments. I had also tried to get travel insurance but after trying a few I've given up meantime. The fact I'm waiting for results didn't help me . 

You will see in my reply to Daisy 53 that I took the plunge & contacted a family member who is a counsellor herself. We are very close to each other but sadly live in different countries now . She is always available on the phone but as I said I think I had got myself into such a tizzy I wasn't thinking straight . 

I will also contact our local Macmillan to ask about availability of counselling .

Again thank you so much for taking time to reply to me 

Alice T 

• I think everyone with secondary cancer gets anxiety around scan time. Mine starts building up before the scan (which is ridiculous as nothing is ever said at the scan appointment), then eases a bit, then builds up prior to the oncology appointment. So it’s completely normal and utterly unpleasant. Distraction works to some extent, so do keep busy.  I also understand the frustration with other people’s reaction, I don’t think many people understand the difference between primary and secondary cancer. People who say “you got through it once, you will get through it again” are coming from a place of not understanding. Easier just to smile than try to explain.

On the travel insurance question, have you tried InsuranceWith? They provide reasonable cost insurance for my situation (metastatic TNBC). 

• Hi Coddfish 

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply it's really appreciated . 

I'm going to try counselling . I agree we all most likely get scanxiety mine just seemed much worse this time at13 mths post secondary diagnosis. 

You are so right it's much easier to smile & say nothing when people can't differentiate between primary & secondary.  Everyone keeps asking me when my treatment finishes !! 

Thankyou re travel ins tip too . Again thank you for taking the time to reply 

Alice T