Just been told I have secondary breast cancer

• 5 replies
  • 35 subscribers

Treatment finished September 2022 and routine scan has now shown up secondaries in spine ribs and pelvis. Feeling flat and sad. Was contemplating holding off telling kids until after Christmas but was persuaded by oncologist to tell them right away. Feel v sorry to have ruined their Christmas and maybe how they will feel about future Christmass too. Not sure it was the best thing to do but have done it now. Looking at CT scan after Christmas to see how bad things are. No discussion about what if any treatment options may be there. Finding it hard to get motivated to get out of bed. 

• Hi Daisy12

Sorry to hear that you have been diagnosed with Secondary Breast Cancer.  No  doubt once they do the CT scan they'll come up with a plan for you.

Best wishes

Daisy53

Community Champion Badge

• So sorry you have had this news.

How awful to have to tell your children this news.

I don't have children so can't imagine how you go about telling them.

You have dobe well to do that.

I was diagnosed with secondaries to various bones just after finishing treatment for lobular breast cancer.

It will be a year in March and I still haven't fully accepted this is happening to me.

Once you've had your scan your team will put a treatment plan together for you.

I found this the hardest wait but you will feel a little relief once your on something. 

My last scan showed no progression.

Next one on 5th January. 

You will be monitored closely.

I still have days I don't want to get out of bed but somehow we all do.

You will have many ups and downs but that is okay.

I personally don't believe we have to be positive all the time as that is too much to maintain .

Keep us updated in how you get on.

Doreen x

• Thanks. I’m sorry to hear what you’re going through. Hope 5 January goes well

• I’m so sorry to hear your news. I was diagnosed in February 2023 with secondaries in my bones and it’s a terrible shock to be told this news. I hope you have got a treatment plan sorted out by now and I have days when I don’t do very much and feel very sad, but it’s a lot to deal with.  I’m getting my head around it now and my drugs are keeping it all at bay so far. 
    take care of yourself

hugs x

• It is a lot to try and accept but eventually you do to some degree.

We have no other choice.

I'm on targeted therapy past year now , scans have been stable.

Due latest result of scan in May.

Glad to hear your treatment is working too.

Emotionally every day is different, I do cry a lot but it's my way of coping and letting all the stress out..

Please take care I understand how you feel.

Doreen x