Paclitaxel and Carboplatin side effects?

• 8 replies
  • 271 subscribers

Hi I start this chemo in a couple of weeks, once a week for 12 weeks then once every 2 weeks for 8 weeks. Can anyone let me know their experiences they have had with the treatment please?

Im an organiser so like to be prepared before I start treatment and any tips for during and after chemo would be great too please Heart️

• Hi, not exactly the same combination as yourself, but here's a blog post I wrote during my chemo about the things I wish I'd known. You might find it helpful.  Best of luck for your treatment. 

Chemo blog link

Community Champion badge

• I had paclitaxel and carboplatin for 12 weeks (weekly) the EC. For P & C aside from hair loss, my only side effects were rashes on my hands. I was given some cream for it and also took antihistamines as it was quite itchy at times.  I too am an organiser and cancer took that out of my hands to a certain extent as you can’t predict how you will feel. In terms of tips what do you need to know? Good luck x

• What does EC mean? Sorry I keep seeing it and I don’t know what it is short for, 

Do you take things to do whilst you’re having chemo? Do you sit in a room with loads of other people having it too? I hate going into the unknown x

• Hi, my treatment involved 4 infusions so lasted 6+ hours. I was in an area with 3-4 other people all have chemo.  The nurses brought drinks and I was given sandwiches and biscuits for lunch.  I took my phone, iPad and a book to keep busy but some people were happy to chat. You csn't move around much, and one hand is usual immobile with the infusion.   Hope this helps. 

Community Champion badge

• Hi - yes there will be others having chemo or immunotherapy too - but all different types and kinds of treatments and cancer - in my experience you need to take something to do and some warm clothes - phone/book/ipad etc plus loose sleved top, jumper, blankets - and food. My chemo nurse called me the week before to go over everything which was really welcome. 

Do be prepared to feel awful, do get kids/pets/dependents sorted for at least a week or a few day after - you’ll get to know your good days but you will most likely have a couple of tired or rough days where you might not want to do anything. 

Sending good luck x 

• Hi, thanks for replying. I’m just concerned as I’m worried that I’ll be having my chemo and then might get back to feeling ok and then I’ll have my next lot a week later. I’m all for getting better and appreciate the hospital. But I’m worried for my two daughters x

• Apologies for the late reply, I’m juggling just starting radiotherapy with work and life so not been on here recently. 

EC is Epirubicin and cyclophosphamide it’s just another type of chemo. As the others have said take magazines, book, phone, iPad. Anything to keep you entertained. I even saw one lady doing some painting one day when having chemo. 

My first lot of chemo took about 4 hours the second lot was only about 1.5 hours. I had mine at The Christie in Manchester so there was a lot of other people having treatments at the same time. There was a lady coming round with a trolley doing tea and coffee and if my treatment was round lunchtime they had sandwiches. 

You can still go to the loo if you need to, you do have to juggle the stand on wheels you are hooked up to but that gets easier to manage. I couldn’t get through my treatment without needing a wee! I used to drink loads of fluids the day before and the day of my treatment to help with blood tests and getting cannulas in. 

Do you know what chemo you are going to be on? I was fine on Paclitaxel etc. I was just tired on EC. 

• My doctor said that it will be paclitaxel and carboplatin, she said it all very quickly, i had an appointment on the phone with her as she was poorly, but seeing her tomorrow so it might make a bit more sense. I am rarely poorly and when I do get poorly I get it bad so I’m absolutely terrified of what’s to come and I just think if I can get lots of information I can be prepared as possible. I also think if I think the worst and it’s not that it will be better than what I thought.

Thank you for taking the time to reply with all your stuff going on too x