Time between surgery and 1st oncology appointment?

• 8 replies
  • 268 subscribers

I've just got my first oncology appointment through (30th September) to discuss my radiotherapy treatment. By the time I go it will be 1 day short of 9 weeks since my lumpectomy and auxillary node clearance. Is this time frame about right? or does it seem a long time to anyone else?

• Hiya, that sounds about right, you need some time to heal after the operation, they’ll probably get you in quickly after that consultation. All the best x

• Thank you Anna12345, I appreciate you replying - I obviously need to relax a bit more and practise a bit more waiting!!

• It‘s really hard cause you just want it behind you,  it will be soon. Make sure you moisturise well during radiotherapy, I just used aqueous cream but use whatever you use regularly and liberally. Good luck xx

• It’s probably about right they want to make sure you are all healed up. Best of luck 

• Hi  , lovely replies already, my wait felt endless and I was rushing to the door every time I heard the post! I think my oncology appointment was about 7 weeks after my op so similar to you. Before that letter arrived, I got one for my first scheduled follow up, which was in just under a year. I was so disappointed as I saw the NHS logo and assumed it was the oncology appointment. My caustic remark to my husband was that I supposed I should be glad that they thought I’d still be alive in a year! Anyway the oncology one eventually arrived and I started radiotherapy about 10 weeks after my op. I was anxious about the gap but in the end glad of the healing time. It’s just that maddening feeling of being in limbo when waiting for dates. The just wanting to know and plan stuff. It’s frustrating! Love and hugs, HFxx

HappyFeet1 xx
    Don’t be afraid to cry. It will free your mind of sorrowful thoughts. – Hopi
  • Thank you HappyFeet1 for your reply - that's exactly how I was, almost stalking the postwoman waiting for the mail, got an NHS later and eagerly opened it to find it was a copy of the results that I'd been given 2 weeks after the op but had taken 3 weeks from postage date to get to me!

I know it will all happen eventually, it just seemed such a long time to wait between op and oncology appointment and I was concerned about the gap but it looks like it's normal and I just need to be patient and take the time to recover and heal xx

• I was 10 weeks and 2 days from lumpectomy to 1st oncologist appointment.

My letter arrived yesterday for my CT and planning appointment and date of 1st radiotherapy.

Planning 25th September 13 weeks 2 days after surgery.

1st radio 8th October 15 weeks 1 day.

I also had a phonecall yesterday to booking my first bone infusion, 17th October. Middle of radiotherapy so will have to cancel it.

• Thank you Redc - my oncology appointment is the 30th September, I know I still need a CT scan so hopefully at that appointment they will let me know when that should be and when radiotherapy sound start - just a little concerned about the length of time between each appointment and if realistically I can afford to be off work any longer?