Breast cancer diagnosis, now in one lymph node

• 20 replies
  • 268 subscribers

Hi everyone, I was diagnosed with breast cancer five months ago and was told that it hadn’t spread to the lymph nodes. It was receptive to hormone treatment and I was told not to worry and that I could live many years.  However, a recent scan showed that one lymph node has cancer cells - apparently it’s not picked up in the initial scan, probably because it’s too small, and this happens to one in ten people I was told. I’ve been offered surgery, which would mean removing all the lymph nodes under the arm, as well as a lumpectomy, or just carrying on with Letrazole tablets and having a scan every three months to see if the lymph node has changed. 
Just wondering how others may have coped with this, and what they decided? It’s turned into a scary situation and any advice would be appreciated! Thanks, Lilwelsh

• Hi Sarah,

Thanks so much for this information - I’ve never heard of this procedure but will look it up as it sounds as if it will make a real difference! I’d be more willing to have the lumpectomy surgery if it didn’t involve removing all the lymph nodes in that area. Best wishes to you xx

• ThumbsupThumbsupThanks Barbara, tc xx

• Hi, thanks very much for your reply. I think the surgeon mentioned 23 nodes in the area, but I may have got that wrong! There was so much information to take in. Four nodes sounds much more acceptable, combined with radiotherapy over the area.

I was going to contact her secretary tomorrow to tell her that I don’t want the operation just yet after all, but on reflection I’d rather have the tumour removed than play a waiting game of testing the node and tumour every three months to see what’s happening, just in case it spreads during that time!
    The radiographer noticed something concerning about the node during a scan five months after the initial scan, so maybe it’s worse when it actually shows up?   Anyway, I feel more positive now and will ask about removing fewer nodes. Thanks again and best wishes xx       

• Hi Sharlov, thanks for the info. I agree with you - it does seem that surgeons have their own method or preference of treatment. I’d certainly prefer something less drastic than total removal! I don’t understand why I was given the choice of having extensive surgery soon (which suggests that it’s really serious) or waiting a few months and reviewing again. Thanks again and take care xx

• Hi C22.

no they just said they had a MDT meeting and they came to the agreement that I would be best having the clearance.

as you can imagine I was mortified and that’s why maybe they have referred me on for the lymphatic diversion.

i will ask the questions on the 20th. As I really didn’t sick around to ask anything.

i haven’t questioned anything they have done, it’s all gone so quick. 
    I’ve not had time to think or process anything.

x

• Sorry you are going through this. I had one positive lymph node and my surgeon booked the surgery a week later to remove all nodes on that side as he was so concerned. The risk of it spreading surely is way worse that lymphedema. I had the operation and it was fine. Feel good now and back running and playing sports. 

• Hi, SLou, thanks for your reply. I agree that total removal is better than the risk of it spreading, but my surgeon seems happy for me to either have surgery or to wait a few months and assess it again after the tablets have shrunk the tumour more. So no sense of urgency on her part and she’s left it to me to decide what to do. Great to hear that your op was so successful xx

• I don’t understand her lack of concern as Lymph nodes are the gateway (even minute cells). Were they able to grade it?  I have had chemo and radio therapy because of a tiny presence there. Maybe ask her if it was her or her daughter would her recommendation change or ansk her if this is a soft approach or an aggressive approach to getting rid of the cancer cells. And apologies I don’t want cause any worry on your part but am worried for you but maybe I am missing the context of your diagnosis. 

• Hi SLou,

Sorry for late reply but have only just seen your message - I’m not used to finding everything yet as the messages aren’t all in the same place!
    I think her attitude is based on the fact that the complex needs team met up to discuss my situation and the possible effect that surgery could have on my existing health problems. I agree with you that it’s scary and I haven’t asked how many cancer cells there were in the node. I think a biopsy probably stirs up the cells tbh. The breast lump is grade 2 stage 2. The surgeon said it was 50/50 re having the op now or not, but she was leaning slightly more towards my having it. 
    Thanks for your concern - I’ll contact her secretary tomorrow to find out how affected it was, but as you say, it only needs one cell to escape!

Take care x

• Yes it’s hard to know which course to follow. And agree on biopsy too always nervous on that front. Sounds like your team are all over it though. 
    Best x