The story continues….reconstruction!

• 3 replies
  • 265 subscribers

Hey!

well I feel blessed, I am now 6 years post initial mastectomy and am fit, well and currently cancer free.

I have just this summer been offered reconstruction. My private health care provider were not happy and it’s taken me a good 6 months to agree to cover delayed reconstruction. Boy, do you have to fight your corner, and I did! Note to others don’t just accept what they say….argue…discuss…tell your story! 

I have now had consultation re: what’s on offer! I’m going for back flap recon, then some puffing up using liposuction, then reduction on my remaining boob. So delighted to have the chance to be even…hate my prothesis, looking wonky, and just not looking right!

I will tell my tale as it unfolds….tonight I await dates….x

• Hi Galligirl good for you pushing for what is right for you. 

gail

Community Champion Badge

• It hasn’t been easy! I was a little shocked by being offered the procedure…didn’t think it was ever an option. But insurance was more of a battle! Apparently ‘normally’ patients have this procedure within 3 years….well…I’m not normal and within 3 years just wasn’t for me, family life was more important and that timescale wasn’t realistic…for me, my life, my family! So happy to have convinced insurance to think differently, a little win…but it means I can have these operations and with a bit of luck have no prosthesis, no wonky boobs and maybe even be able to splash out on a bikini next year!!!

GGx
  • oh my gosh what a story. I had single mastectomy, treatments and now waiting for reconstruction of them using parts of my body to rebuild. My initial op was the end of 2020 and treatments ended spring 2021 i am still waiting for the first stage. i have taken it to the local mp and i was on the local news over the waiting lists , you have given me inspiration to push them harder. xx