Genetic testing

• 2 replies
  • 263 subscribers

Morning all,

I had left sided mastectomy and lymph node clearance 4 weeks ago today and I am healing pretty well. I had my follow up appointment with my surgeon who told me my largest tumor was 6cm and cancer was found in 4 of my 13 lymph nodes. 

He then went on to discuss my gene testing they had done a few weeks prior...I don't have the typical BRCA (sorry if that's wrong) gene but have a ATM gene. Has anyone else had this? He advised i am more at risk of getting cancer in the other breast because of this and my 3 children have a 50% chance of inheriting this gene - not what I wanted to hear!! 

Thank you,

J x

• Hi  , yes I have this gene mutation too. I had genetic testing quite ‘late’ after diagnosis as I’d initially been told that, despite my family history, my particular type of breast cancer was not likely to be inherited. After my original breast surgeon retired (thank goodness) I had annual follow ups with a much nicer one who agreed to refer me for testing, 3 years after my diagnosis. I was sure there must be some link. Many months later I got my results which showed, like you, that I carry a mutated ATM gene. Did you have a consultation with a genetics counsellor after your results? It’s important to have this rather than just a discussion with the breast surgeon. However nice they are (and I can’t fault my current one) they are not genetics experts. I filled in a very detailed questionnaire which my genetics counsellor analysed using a Cambridge system, which gave me a much more personalised risk assessment. If you’d like to discuss this all in more detail, please do private message me. It’s a horrible shock to discover that you’re a faulty gene carrier on top of getting breast cancer. I’ve not met anyone else with this one, I don’t think they’ve been testing for it for that long. Love and hugs, HFxx 

HappyFeet1 xx
    Don’t be afraid to cry. It will free your mind of sorrowful thoughts. – Hopi
  • I’ve sent a friendship request which should let us message privately if you’d like to xx

HappyFeet1 xx
    Don’t be afraid to cry. It will free your mind of sorrowful thoughts. – Hopi