Wondering if anyone has had radiotherapy after mastectomy with implant reconstruction?

• 8 replies
  • 266 subscribers

Hi,

Fairly new to group but diagnosed with DCIS (ranging 8cm) in my right breast in February. Mastectomy with implant reconstruction went ahead in April. The results of this that were missed on all biopsies was a 2.1cm tumour of invasive cancer and found in 3 lymph nodes. Then later diagnosed with TNBC. I was 40 in June and feeling silly that the only thing I was dreading at the start of the year was turning 40! 

Had 12 weeks pacletaxol and carbo (x4) and first round of EC yesterday which so far has not been pleasant. When chemo is finished I’m having the lymph node clearance and then radiotherapy to the chest wall. 

the radiotherapy can have a big impact on the implant resulting in it having to come out. Just wondered if anyone had experienced the same? 

Thank you in advance and wishing you all the best with your journeys. 

• Hi Mini2024,

I had similar, dcis with multi focal invasive the largest invasive bit was .7mm so mastectomy with implant. They found it had spread to 1 of 3 nodes taken which they hadn’t expected. It took ages for the path results to come back due to coinciding with an upsurge in covid and was hormone negative and her 2 positive, so going from not much treatment needed to the full works!

I had radiotherapy over 3 weeks which finished Feb 2022 and so far the implant has been ok. The consultant said he would be happy to change it if there were problems. It did feel sore and swollen after radiotherapy but settled down again after a few weeks x

• Thanks so much for the reply. That’s good to hear. I’m crossing everything that it does t affect the implant! Xx

• Hi, sorry to hear what has happened, that's shocking

I had an implant & then 15 radiotherapy sessions. I had some contraction as a result, but not sufficient to need it removing. It just feels tight.

Good luck x

• Thank you for the reply xxx

• Hi 

I also had the sane diagnosed DCIS so had breast removed and implant reconstruction and thought that was it but then once biopsy had been completed I had stage 1 grade 3 and needed full treatment chemo etc - I’ve only just started EC so very nervous about this journey but so glad you asked about radiotherapy as I have been told once chemo finished I will need it for 3 weeks but feel like I’ve been through so much already I don’t want to go back to surgery as I only feel like I’ve just recovered from my op in June so knowing others have gone through this ok gives me hope xx 

• Thank you for the reply. It does help to hear people have been or are going through the same sort of thing. My first EC has knocked me about this week after not having it too bad with the first 12 weeks of the other treatment. Such a lot to get through isn’t it and a lot to take in, knowing there’s more treatments and surgery to go. I’ve got an oncologist appt next week so will hopefully find out some more info on the radiotherapy and how much I will be having.xx

• Sending much love for all you are going through xx

I know everyone is different, but I hope it is reassuring if I tell you I had double mastectomy with implants reconstruction and then 15 rounds of radiotherapy each round covering 3 locations (chest wall, armpit and collar bone) and it didnt affect the implants at all.  The one thing I did was lots and lots of moisturiser (I used Aveeno) each evening and I think that really helped me avoid skin burns.

Best of luck with all your treatments.

• Thank you, I’m already using aveeno so will definitely carry on with that. Thank you for the reassurance, makes me feel better xx