Different chemotherapies

• 7 replies
  • 266 subscribers

Hi 

I've recently had surgery to remove invasive lobular cancer in one breast and invasive ductal in the other.

I am waiting to find out if I am to have 6 months chemo (oncologist thinks that because of my age, 53, they will most likely offer it but the tumours are still being tested), followed by 15 sessions of radiotherapy and 10 years of Tamoxifen.

My question is about different types of chemo.

I've been reading up about chemotherapy and there are different types (it's amazing what we learn in our journey through cancer). Does anyone know if there is a specific chemo for my type of treatment? Like all of us, I want to know as much as possible so I can get my head round it. The waiting is the hardest part I am finding.

Thanks all and wishing you all well on your journeys.

• Hi Emmak welcome to the forum  and I am sorry to hear what's been happening for you. I also had Invasive Lobular Cancer and as far as i am aware that type of Breast Cancer doesn't always respond very well to chemo but Breast Cancer does especially if lymph nodes are involved. I had 20 sessions of Radiotherapy. As far as I know the type of chemo you will require will be determined by the Pathology results when these come back.    

gail

Community Champion Badge

• Hi, I'm having EC chemo ( thats the short term name of it,  quite common for first lot of chemo for breast cancer). I've had a mastectomy, (same cancer as you) 16 week chemo, then radiotherapy. I've had one bout of Chemo which was OK, bit headachy for a few days, a bit nauseous but I could manage all quite well. So hopefully you will be ok.

• Hi

thanks for replying. 

I do hope your chemo remains manageable.

• Hi Emma

I'm following your question with great interest as I've been diagnosed with lobular very recently and met the surgeon today to discuss my surgery next week. He also said I was likely to have chemo which threw me into a total panic attack as no-one had mentioned this to me before today. 

To say I am terrified is an understatement. They've also said I need a CT scan as my total mass area is over 5cm (I have 3 multifocal masses altogether in the same breast), so I am freaking out about that, too. Did you have a mastectomy?

Good luck with everything. You sound very level-headed whereas I'm a complete mess.

Big hugs

Jo

• Hi Jo,

I had a CT and a Bone scan too. To say I was frightened of the outcome would be an understatement too so I get how you are feeling x However, both came back  clear from cancer. It was my.oncologist that requested both when looking at my family history of breast cancer (2 aunts and one cousin). I found out afterwards from my consultant that she loves research lol.

I didnt have to have the mastectomy. my surgeon did 2 lumpectomy's and lots of tissue shovelling to keep the shape.  I'm still swollen but would say I'll likely be a cup size smaller when they've settled. 

I also went into a bit of shock when the consultant brought up chemo...for 6 months!! I still don't think I've processed the last weeks since diagnosis yet - it's all happened so quickly - this may be why I seem level headed Sweat smile

Xx

• Hi Emma

Yes we meet again here! I hope you don't think I'm stalking you lol

I'm so glad your CT scan came back clear. I'm totally terrified about mine as it's come out of the blue. I didn't think it was needed yet. Did you have your CT scan before or after your surgery?

It's my birthday today but I can't stop crying. I'm a total mess this morning Cry 

• lol, of course not! I wondered if you realised it was me x

What a shitty birthday for you. One to remember for all the wrong reasons.

I had my CT a couple of weeks before surgery and I can honestly say I was bricking it lol. I absolutely wasn't expecting one, or the bone scan. I thought, 'this is it Emma. You're in trouble.' Relief is not a big enough feeling to describe how I felt when they came back clear.

I really feel for you and wonder if I should be more like you but I (my therapist says) have dissociated and not able to process it. this is the only reason I am somewhat balanced about my journey. 

However, all being said. I am taking the one hour at a time method. my feelings are ever changing - mostly pissed off and disconnected! 

Our lives have been turned upside down and there is no right or wrong way to feel. Yes, this is a sh*t show but thank goodness for this forum - we are not alone.

I've yet to cry and dreading it when it hits!

x