The chemo side effect no-one tells you about

• 7 replies
  • 268 subscribers

I just wondered if other people have experienced a sore vulva during chemo? As, like your mouth and digestive system, this area is about mucous membranes, it is hardly surprising that it also gets dry and sore. When you dig deep you see it is a known side effect but not really mentioned much. Surely it isn’t that rare?

Nurse at the treatment unit suggested Canesten cream, which seems a bit extreme as it is a fungicide rather than an emollient. The nice people at yesyesyes.org, who do a variety of vulva and vaginal moisturisers, recommended one of their products in particular and are going to send me some samples. At least some of their products are available on prescription. I’ll report back if anyone is interested. 

• Hi NoTimeforCancer welcome to the forum. I think you make a valid point about side effects of medicines we need but dont always get fully notified of short and longer term effects. It will be good if you can get back to us as this may help  others who may experience this and be looking for something that is useful. Best Wishes. 

gail

Community Champion Badge

• I think there is a complete lack of focus on the implications for sexual function. They also don’t tell you peripheral neuropathy can affect the nerve endings there. And in your nose and lips. 

I have TNBC so am lucky that oestrogen blockers have never entered the discussion, and I can continue topical oestrogen pessaries. I feel very sorry for those who suffer from this as someone who had vaginal atrophy post menopause and needed all the help I could get. 

1. Hi NoTimeForCancer

I too got a bit uncomfortable down below . I used Vagasil hydrating gel , it was very cooling and soothing . Hope you find a product that does job for you .

All the best for more comfortable times Slight smile

• Hi

I was very sore in the same place during chemo and was recommended Vagisil. Soreness has come back now after surgery. A chemo nurse told me about Canesten cream - the one I use is called 'Canescool intimate care'  I got it from Boots. I said that I didn't have thrush but she said to have a go. It has been great and I feel better than I did with Vagisil. Might be worth a try x

• Hello,  I never had chemo but just a little tip.  Never use any cleansers or soap on your delicate tissue.  I only use plain water.  Hope it feels better son.  I am on anastrazole so have to be careful because of dryness.  I use hyaluronic acid suppositories every 3 days and that is helpful.  

Barbara 

• Hi NoTimeForCancer, thanks so much for this post.

I have noticed that there seem to be many side effects which aren't mentioned. I had to search to find minimal info about the debilitating headaches I had during EC.

I'm also experiencing vaginal changes and discomfort.  My urethra is also affected, but no infection.  I will be speaking to the chemo unit nurses in the week ahead. I'm feeling really daunted, as I'll be taking oestrogen blockers for 5yrs after chemo. 

I'll also check out 'yes yes yes.org I'd not heard of them. Thanks again.

Wishing you well with your treatment and the rest!

• Thanks for these comments and suggestions. Good to know I'm not alone!