Hair loss

• 25 replies
  • 272 subscribers

Hello all. I have my second round of chemo next week. This morning my hair is coming out in huge handfuls. I now have a wig to try and replicate my long hair but I’m feeling very sad. It’s all so real now.Xx

• Hi Cherry Blossom,sending love ,I'm four months into my chemotherapy.I remember the day that I brushed my hair and it just came out in clumps.It was the one aspect of cancer I dreaded.3 weeks in I braved the shave and for me it was the best thing I could have done.I am now completely bald,and embracing it.I bought lovely headscarves for the times I'm not feeling so brave.Wishing you all the love on your journey xx

• Thank you. I don’t really know what to do, admire your bravery but can’t bring myself to shave yet. My head does itch quite a lot. After my second chemo next week I imagine it will get worse forcing me to make a decision. Well done and good luck.Xxx

• I feel for you Cherry Blossom. I lost all my hair by cycle 2 of chemo. I tried wigs which upset me as it reminded me of what I used to look like and I know that life is different now. I wore mostly beanie style soft hats but hated and still hate the stares which in the 9 months since diagnosis have been hard to deal with.

My hair has now started to regrow but its taking its time. I remember that my head really was sore when the hair was coming out - something to do with the hair follicles letting go. I tried coconut oil and lately (now I have some hair covering my head,) 3 drops of Rosemary oil which I massage in which has a lovely, non-medicinal smell and soothes me.

I still have no eyebrows nor eyelashes which makes me look like what I am - someone with cancer.

Just keep going. It will get easier. I had no idea how much of my identity was wrapped up in my hair. 

Sending you hugs xx

• Thank you. It really helps to know you have been through and feel the same as I do. X

• I'm so sorry to hear you are feeling sad and low, that's perfectly understandable.   I'm worrying about the same thing as due to start chemo soon and can't decide whether to use the cold caps or not.    Did you try this? Thx

• I had treatment in 2019 and used the cold cap. I managed to keep enough hair that didn't need a wig. I have thick course hair. I washed it only twice in each 3 week chemo cycle, used baby shampoo or Waterman's growth shampoo. I used warm rather than hot water and a wide tooth comb.

Good luck x

• My oncologist didn’t feel it would work and I would go through the discomfort for nothing. I’m not keen on extreme cold, so I know I wouldn’t have liked it . You can always try it and just stop if you’re not happy. Xx

• Daughter's hair started coming out the same way as yours is during cycle 2. She was using the cold cap but hated it, felt it was the worst part of the treatment. She had one more go with it but, during cycle 3 had lost 90% of her hair. She decided to 'take contol' and decided to stop the cold cap and asked her lovely hairdresser to remove what was left of her hair. None of it was easy but she felt much better once it was done. She didn't like wearing a wig and quickly developed her own style of chemo headgear (loads out there) and statement earrings.

Six months on, her hair is about an inch long all over and as thick as it was before. Eyelashes and brows are also just growing back.

It's very hard but you will get there. Do talk to a hairdresser - daughter went to her own but there was one at the hospital. Sending you strength and very best wishes for your treatment. xx

• Hi Cherry Blossom, sorry to hear that you are feeling sad at the moment, it is quite understandable. I had my hair cut into a shorter style, before starting chemo. However, when my hair started to fall out, I still had a bit of a cry. I then decided it was time to shave it off. The wig shop were great and fitted me in the same day and shaved it to a number 4, which  did make things easier. My hair actually started growing back before I had my last chemo. I did purchase some really nice hats and also have a couple of wigs, which I'm happy with. Always here for a chat if you need it. Xx

• Thank you. It’s great that you’re there to support your daughter . Both my parents died recently and I miss them. Your comments are very helpful, I hope your daughter continues to do well.Xx