PICC Line Fear

• 8 replies
  • 270 subscribers

Good evening. I had a tel convo with a lovely MacMillan nurse about this but wondered if anyone had some real life inspo or words of wisdom for me. Grade 3, Stage 3 invasive ductal carcinoma, had surgery + starting chemo soon. I’ve dealt with everything that’s been thrown at me with a positive mindset, taken it on the chin, done everything my wonderful treatment team have suggested but I just can not get my head round the idea of a PICC line. I am super squeamish so the thought of it just being sat in there permanently is awful to me, I have taken a real disassociative approach to this cancer, I just want to deal with it and get on with my life as much as possible and not talk about it or think about it except when I have to - and I was hoping to take that attitude towards the chemo (obviously other than the fact that I’ll feel like a sack of shite!). Also I have a 3 year old who I’m trying not to freak out. I feel like the PICC line will just be a constant reminder, I’d rather just have a cannula and try and not be visually reminded about my chemo (every 3 x weeks for 6 x months). Has anyone had chemo recently and just gone with a cannula?

• I had a PICC line because access to my veins is hard and it is even a struggle to get a simple blood test at times.

The majority of people who were having chemo at the same time of me did not have a PICC line and had a cannula inserted for every treatment. 

I was told that having a PICC line helps to preserve your veins as the chemo can damage and scar them when administered through a cannula. 

• Hi  

I had chemo once every 3 weeks for 3 cycles and then weekly for 12 cycles. 

Like you, the idea of having something in me permanently wasn't appealing when the oncologist suggested it to me and, as I have (had) good veins in my hands, I asked if I could have a cannula instead. 

However, if I ever have to have ongoing treatment intravenously again and was offered a PICC line I would seriously consider it. To start off with my veins were fine but towards the end it would take several attempts, I think the worst time it was 5 attempts, to get the cannula in a vein. 

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi, I had the same diagnosis of stage 3 grade 3 IDC plus er+ pr+ her2+. I also had one positive node.  I opted to have chemo via cannula just didn’t like the idea of picc line that had to be flushed out once a week.  I had 6 rounds of docetaxil and Carboplatin.  The docetaxil did do some damage to my veins but they soon recovered. I then had 14 rounds of Kadcyla once every 3 weeks.  By that time I had been through surgery, lumpectomy and axillary clearance, so only one arm was available.  They always managed to find a vein, although sometimes it took a couple of attempts.  If you are totally against picc lines I would say start with a cannula, you can always change your mind along the line.  Good luck with your treatment. Xx

• I had 16 lots of chemo (weekly for 12 weeks and then every three weeks for 4 sessions). I never had any type of port. I just had a cannula. I just made sure I drank plenty of water and they used heat packs. My veins have always been rubbish and I was amazed I actually got to the end without a port but I did. Remember it’s your body x

• Ahh thankyou so much for this. Yes I was thinking surely I can try it with a cannula & see how I get on! Heart exclamation

• Thanks for this. What did they use the heat packs for? (I’ve read on here about ice packs for hands and feet to help with peripheral neuropathy but never heat packs?).  Yes I would do well to have this tattooed somewhere “it’s my body”, as it doesn’t feel so much like it anymore! Broken heartSkull crossbones

• To warm up the veins on my hands for the cannulas. 

• Hi. I currently have a picc line in my arm and was very apprehensive at first. It’s been in for about 8 weeks now and don’t really notice it much. I’ve got something to put round it for bathing etc which wa a prescribed and free. The initial bruising took a while to go down and felt a bit of pinching at times but that’s all gone now. I prefer this than be injected everyone as they take blood from it too and use for for the dyes for scans.